Force Body Diagram Hamster-

In summary: I used R= -8.99 N. In summary, the problem involves a hamster sitting on a wedge-shaped block resting on a spring scale. Initially, the hamster does not move due to sufficient static friction. The combined mass of the hamster and block is 1000g and the scale reads 9.8N. By treating the hamster and block as separate objects and analyzing the forces, it can be shown that the reaction force on the hamster is equal to the weight of the block, which results in a total reaction force of -8.99N on the block.
bcjochim07
Force Body Diagram Hamster-Please Help!

Homework Statement

A 200 g hamster sits on an 800 g wedge shaped block. The block, in turn rests on a spring scale.

a) Initially static friction is sufficient to keep the hamster from moving. In this case the hamster and the block are effectively a single 1000g mass and the scale should read 9.8 N. Show that this is the case by treating the hamster and the block as separate objects and analyzing the forces.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am reviewing, and I know I did this problem correctly before, but now it's not working for me. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong

Hamster: I drew a force body diagram, tilting the x & y axes

Sum of forces on y = Force of Block on hamster - mgcos40=0

Force of block on hamster = (.200kg)(9.80)(cos40)

Block: For the block I didn't tilt the coordinates

Sum of forces on y= normal force - Force of hamster on block in y direction - Mg
= n - (.200kg)(9.80)(cos40)(cos40) - (.800kg)(9.80)
n= -8.99 N which is the answer for the second part of the question, when the static friction goes away.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bcjochim07! :smile:

You're not asked for the separate friction force at this stage, so just calculate R, the total reaction force (normal + friction).

That makes only two forces on the hamster … R and mg.

So R = … ?

Then use minus R for the block. :smile:

Ok I got it, I forgot that friction has an equal opposite force

What is a force body diagram?

A force body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object, typically drawn as arrows pointing in the direction of the force. It is used to analyze the motion of an object and determine the net force acting on it.

How do you create a force body diagram?

To create a force body diagram, you first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you draw arrows to represent each force, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude of the force. Finally, you label each arrow with the type of force and any known numerical values.

Why is a force body diagram important?

A force body diagram is important because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. It allows us to apply Newton's Laws of Motion to analyze and predict the behavior of an object.

What are the different types of forces shown in a force body diagram?

The different types of forces shown in a force body diagram include applied force, normal force, weight, friction, tension, and spring force. These forces can be further categorized as contact forces or non-contact forces.

How can a force body diagram be used to solve problems?

A force body diagram can be used to solve problems by identifying all the forces acting on an object and applying Newton's Laws of Motion. By analyzing the forces, we can determine the net force and acceleration of the object, as well as predict its motion.