Free body diagram on a block pushed against a ceiling

In summary, the block is being pushed along a ceiling with friction by an angled force of 70 degrees. The applied force looks good, but the direction of the force is not clear.
Madelin Pierce

Homework Statement

A 2kg block is being pushed along a ceiling with friction by an angled force of 70 degrees. I'm asked only for the free body diagram.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured both the gravitational and normal force would point downwards, but the force applied at an angle(figure an angle someone would apply by pushing with arms) I'm confused on how to draw on the diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
Madelin Pierce said:

Homework Statement

A 2kg block is being pushed along a ceiling with friction by an angled force of 70 degrees. I'm asked only for the free body diagram.
70 degrees with respect to what?
Madelin Pierce said:
I figured both the gravitational and normal force would point downwards, but the force applied at an angle(figure an angle someone would apply by pushing with arms) I'm confused on how to draw on the diagram.
What is the direction of the force? That's the direction the force vector will make with the block.

Drawing.png

Attachments

• Drawing.png
    Drawing.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 796
  • Drawing.png
    Drawing.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 409
I forgot to add that friction plays a role. I'm just confused on how to set up the free body diagram

Your applied force looks good. Now you need to add gravitational force and frictional force vectors. In which directions do they act?

2cd6bcfe-b055-4d4e-aa48-06aa0b6c8697.png

Attachments

• 2cd6bcfe-b055-4d4e-aa48-06aa0b6c8697.png
    2cd6bcfe-b055-4d4e-aa48-06aa0b6c8697.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 585
Okay, it looks like you've got all the forces represented. That's good. What I would suggest, however, is that they be presented a bit more aesthetically. Often, leaving in the depiction of body being acted on makes things easier to recognize and process. So maybe something like this:

upload_2018-10-24_19-57-38.png

The placements of the force vectors around the block are not as important as getting their directions right, but making your diagram easy to read (especially by markers!) is at least a good portion of the battle :smile:

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-24_19-57-38.png
    upload_2018-10-24_19-57-38.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 707
Ok, thank you. I was drawing it on my computer sketch, so that's why it wasn't as clear.

Likes gneill

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It includes all the external forces such as gravity, friction, and applied forces, and helps in analyzing the motion of the object.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot or box to represent the object and draw arrows to show the direction and magnitude of each force. Finally, label each force with its corresponding symbol and indicate the coordinate system.

3. How do you represent the force of gravity in a free body diagram?

The force of gravity is represented by a downward arrow pointing towards the center of the earth. Its magnitude is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How do you represent an applied force in a free body diagram?

An applied force is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of its action. Its magnitude can be determined by the force applied on the object or by using trigonometric functions if the angle is given.

5. How do you analyze a free body diagram?

To analyze a free body diagram, you can use Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless a net external force acts on it. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.