Calculating Temperature Change in a Heat Transfer System

In summary: Interesting. This is very useful, Chris. Thank you for this explanation... I will try to apply it to my further studies of physics!
science.girl

Homework Statement

A piece of metal with a mass of 1.50 kg, specific heat of 200 J/kg*oC, and initial temperature of 100oC is dropped into an insulated jar that contains liquid with a mass of 3.00 kg, specific heat of 1,000 J/kg*oC, and initial temperature of 0oC. The piece of metal is removed after 5 seconds, at which time its temperature is 20oC. Neglect any effects of heat transfer to the air or insulated jar.

The temperature of the liquid after the metal is removed is ... ?

Homework Equations

[delta]U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to apply an equation to solve this. Any guidance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The options for the temperature of the liquid after the metal is removed is:
0oC
4oC
8oC
10oC
20oC

science.girl said:

Homework Equations

[delta]U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to apply an equation to solve this. Any guidance?

Hello science.girl,

Hmmm, that equation you wrote doesn't seem to apply here.

Do you have your physics textbook or class notes handy? You're looking for an equation that contains the specific heat, mass, and temperature change in it -- often denoted by c, m, and ΔT, respectively.

Redbelly98 said:
Hello science.girl,

Hmmm, that equation you wrote doesn't seem to apply here.

Do you have your physics textbook or class notes handy? You're looking for an equation that contains the specific heat, mass, and temperature change in it -- often denoted by c, m, and ΔT, respectively.

The only equation I can think of is

c = Q/(m[Tf - Ti])

But, I'm not given a value Q. I would be looking for Tf, right?

Any help? Is there an equation that I'm missing?

science.girl said:
Any help? Is there an equation that I'm missing?

Q=mc*(change in temperature)

Where: Q absorbed = Q released

So you can set a side equal to each part of the equation then plug in...

m*c*(Tf-Ti) for the liquid = m*c(Tf-Ti) for the metal

NBAJam100 said:
Q=mc*(change in temperature)

Where: Q absorbed = Q released

So you can set a side equal to each part of the equation then plug in...

m*c*(Tf-Ti) for the liquid = m*c(Tf-Ti) for the metal

Now I see how the equation is applied. Thank you so much for your help. :smile:

science.girl said:
Now I see how the equation is applied. Thank you so much for your help. :smile:

no prob :biggrin:

Also before you do any problem in thermo like this use the 1st law and reduce it down, its good practise to start doing this as it helps to visualise the problem. These are relatively simple but if you ever do anything with the steady flow energy equation you'll see why doing this is useful.

so in this case you take

dU = dQ + qW

we know there is no work, but there is heat transfer.

dU = dQ

This means that the heat flow from the bar into the liquid is the only thing to affect the internal energy. so this means we can apply the Q=mcdt as above.

xxChrisxx said:
Also before you do any problem in thermo like this use the 1st law and reduce it down, its good practise to start doing this as it helps to visualise the problem. These are relatively simple but if you ever do anything with the steady flow energy equation you'll see why doing this is useful.

so in this case you take

dU = dQ + qW

we know there is no work, but there is heat transfer.

dU = dQ

This means that the heat flow from the bar into the liquid is the only thing to affect the internal energy. so this means we can apply the Q=mcdt as above.

Interesting. This is very useful, Chris. Thank you for this explanation... I will try to apply it to my further studies of physics! :smile:

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one system to another. It occurs in three main ways: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as from the sun.

How does heat transfer affect the temperature of an object?

Heat transfer can either increase or decrease the temperature of an object, depending on the direction of the transfer and the thermal properties of the object. For example, if a hot object is placed in a cooler environment, heat will transfer from the hot object to its surroundings, causing its temperature to decrease.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two systems, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the two systems.

Why is heat transfer important in everyday life?

Heat transfer is essential for many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling buildings, and transportation. It also plays a crucial role in maintaining the Earth's climate and weather patterns.