Why this special case occurs in an exchange of heat

In summary, the conversation discusses a heat transfer problem involving a heat exchanger of parallel tubes with water and oil flowing through them. After providing the initial conditions and equations, the conversation explores the attempt at finding the heat transfer from the water to the oil and the resulting temperature of the oil. It is concluded that due to a mistake in the initial conditions, the specified result of the water's final temperature cannot be achieved and instead, the water and oil should have the same final temperature for a more accurate calculation.
Andres Padilla

Homework Statement

Hello. First of all sorry about this question, it has to do a little with heat transfer from engineering. This situation is not real, I was working in a proyect and this doubt came to me.

I have a heat exchanger of parallel tubes. Water flows in a tube and oil flows in another one. The initial conditions are shown in the picture. I will write them here:
Water
To= 18°C
Tf= 26°C
m=0.25 kg/s
cp= 4.18 kJ/kg°C
Oil
To: 0°C
m= 0.1 kg/s
Cp= 1.79 kJ/kg°C

Homework Equations

Q= m.cp (Tf-to)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the heat transfer from the water to the oil

Qw= (0.25)(4.18)(26-18)=8.36
This is the same heat that comes into the oil.

So
8.36=(0.1)(1.79)(Tf-0)
Tf= 46.7°C

This result does not make sense to me, because I find impossible that the oil has increased its temperature more than water. I thought that the maximum possible temperature than the oil can reach is the same 26°C of water ( Assuming an infinite length in the heat exchanger)

In the picture I put a axis with the temperatures.

Could anyone explain me why, according with the calculations, I got Tf= 46.7°C for the oil?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-06-16 at 10.57.29 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-06-16 at 10.57.29 PM.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Andres Padilla said:
To= 18°C
Tf= 26°C
I assume you meant the other way around. Heat is being transferred from the water to the oil, right?
Andres Padilla said:
impossible that the oil has increased its temperature more than water
Quite so. It won't happen. The best arrangement in a heat exchanger is that the flows are opposite, i.e. the incoming cool fluid is adjacent to the exiting warm fluid, etc. In this way, the oil might get close to 26C, but never quite there.

I think some information, some data, is missing here. How can the temperature of oil and water both increase. Is there a heating coil in oil tube? I think it must be there. The higher temperature rise of oil is there because specific heat of oil is smaller and also oil is moving at a slower rate so it remains in contact with water and also remains exposed to the radiation of heater coil, which is at much higher temperature inside oil. I think water has been used here to check the increase of temperature of oil to its boiling point.

I wrote incorrectly one part, I am sorry! The water comes in with 26°C and comes out 18°C.

haruspex said:
I assume you meant the other way around. Heat is being transferred from the water to the oil, right?

Quite so. It won't happen. The best arrangement in a heat exchanger is that the flows are opposite, i.e. the incoming cool fluid is adjacent to the exiting warm fluid, etc. In this way, the oil might get close to 26C, but never quite there.

Yes, I know the best arrangement is with the counterflow heat exchanger. I agree with you, the oil will get closer to 26°C, but how can I prove that with calculations? Because according with calculations, I will get the 46.7°C

Andres Padilla said:
Yes, I know the best arrangement is with the counterflow heat exchanger. I agree with you, the oil will get closer to 26°C, but how can I prove that with calculations? Because according with calculations, I will get the 46.7°C
It is a case of garbage in, garbage out.
Assuming you meant T0 for the water is 26C (please confirm), you have specified a result (final temperature of the water as 18C) that simply will not happen.
Instead of specifying Tf for the water as 18C try setting the water and oil to have the same final temperature.

Last edited:

1. Why does heat exchange occur?

Heat exchange occurs because of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat flows from areas of high temperature to areas of low temperature. This flow of heat is a natural process that helps to maintain thermal equilibrium in systems.

2. What is a special case of heat exchange?

A special case of heat exchange occurs when there is a significant difference in temperature between two objects or systems. This can lead to more efficient transfer of heat and can have a significant impact on the overall energy balance of a system.

3. How does heat exchange affect the efficiency of a system?

Heat exchange can greatly affect the efficiency of a system. In most cases, heat is a byproduct of energy transfer, and excessive heat can lead to energy loss and reduced efficiency. However, in some cases, heat exchange can be harnessed and used to increase the efficiency of a system, such as in heat exchangers.

4. What factors influence heat exchange?

There are several factors that can influence heat exchange, including the temperature difference between the objects or systems, the surface area available for heat transfer, and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. Other factors such as air flow and humidity can also play a role in heat exchange.

5. How can heat exchange be controlled?

Heat exchange can be controlled through various methods, such as insulation to reduce heat loss, using heat exchangers to transfer heat between systems, and adjusting the temperature or surface area of the objects involved. Understanding the factors that influence heat exchange is key to effectively controlling it.