How Does Torque Relate to RPM in a Gyroscopic Exercise Tool?

• Thread starter bobo105
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the resistive forces of a gyroscopic exercise tool are related to the revolutions per minute (RPM) of the rotor. When the tool reaches speeds of 9,000 - 13,000 RPM, it generates 32-35 ft-lbs of torque. The powerballs used in these tools are made of metal and can produce up to 250Nm of torque. There is a potential issue with friction causing the tool to become unusable over time. A formula exists that links the RPM of the rotor to the torque required, which depends on factors such as mass, radius, and time. For example, a torque of 0.25Nm is needed to rotate the gyroscope to 17000 RPM in 1
bobo105
I want to know the relationship between the resistive forces of a gyroscopic exercise tool and the revolutions per minute of the rotor.

Physics news on Phys.org
It generates from 32lbs to 35 lbs of torque when speeds of 9,000 - 13,000 RPMs are reached. I assume this means 32 ft-lbs to 35 ft lbs of torque, however the torque is zero unless you try to induce a torque, so I assume this is peak torque.

http://www.basegear.com/powerballgyro.html

these powerballs are made primarily of metal and have twice the weight of "regular" Powerball models and are more challenging to operate since up to 250Nm of torque is produced (250Nm = 184.4 ft lb).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerball_(exercise_tool)

The interface between the narrow track and the ends of the gyro axis would wear out (loss of friction), resulting in an unusable powerball after a relatively short period of time. I don't know if this issue was ever fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but is there a formula that links the revs/min of the rotor of the gyroscope to the torque?

[tex]T = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{mr^2}{2} \times \frac{\omega}{t}[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi R}{60}[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{mr^2 \pi R}{60t}[/tex]

where R = revs/min, r = radius, m = mass, ω = angular velocity, t = time

So far I have found that a torque of 0.25Nm is required to rotate the gyroscope to 17000 revs/min in 1 second (with a mass of 0.45kg and a radius of 0.025m). However, I want to know, for example, how much torque is required to rotate the gyroscope at a constant 15000 revs/min.

Last edited:

What is a gyroscopic exercise tool?

A gyroscopic exercise tool is a handheld device that uses a spinning mass or gyroscope to create resistance and provide a workout for the muscles in the arms and wrists.

How does a gyroscopic exercise tool work?

A gyroscopic exercise tool works by using the principle of angular momentum. When the gyroscope spins, it creates a force that resists any changes in direction, requiring the user to exert force to keep it stable. This results in a workout for the muscles in the arms and wrists.

What are the benefits of using a gyroscopic exercise tool?

Using a gyroscopic exercise tool can improve grip strength, wrist mobility, and coordination. It can also be used for rehabilitation of wrist and hand injuries. Additionally, it can provide a low-impact workout for the arms and wrists.

Are there any risks associated with using a gyroscopic exercise tool?

While using a gyroscopic exercise tool is generally safe, it is important to use proper form and not overexert yourself. There is a risk of muscle strain or injury if used improperly or for too long. It is also important to consult with a doctor before using if you have any pre-existing wrist or hand injuries.

What are some common exercises that can be done with a gyroscopic exercise tool?

Some common exercises include wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and bicep curls. You can also perform exercises that involve rotating the wrist, such as wrist circles or figure 8s. There are also specialized exercises that can target specific muscles in the arms and wrists.