How many significant digits in 0 and 0.0?

In summary, the student was struggling with converting Fahrenheit to Celsius and came across a problem with 0.0. After figuring out that the last 0 in 0.0 is not significant, he was able to solve the problem using a similar problem in his textbook that had a solution with a .0 at the end.
Bohrok

Homework Statement

I was helping some chemistry student and there was a homework problem on converting Fahrenheit to Celsius. The first two were 16°F and 16.0°F which were easy, but the last one was 0.0°F which had me wondering about 0 and 0.0.

Homework Equations

C° = 5/9(°F - 32) or C° = 1.8(°F - 32), but no trouble with actually calculating the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem was with the subtraction 0.0 - 32 (assuming 32°F has an infinite number of significant digits)

My thought was that the last 0 in 0.0 is significant even though there's no other nonzero digit to determine whether that last 0 is significant, since the first one is usually placed there by convention. Assuming the last 0 is significant, our answer was -17.8° which I'm sure is right in any case.

After thinking about what was significant in 0.0, I thought about 0.01 which has only one sig fig and the last 0 is just a placeholder, which led to thinking that the last 0 in 0.0 is not significant.

I looked at my edition of the student's textbook for similar problems and see one with converting 0°F to C°. The answer in the back said -18°C which is what I would get with 0°F having just one sig fig. Now, would putting a .0 on the end to make 0.0 make two sig figs?
How should a person look at these numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two significant figures when your calculation is finished. Unfortunately I see no way to formally justify this.

symbolipoint said:
You have two significant figures when your calculation is finished.

Convert 1.13 deg C to Kelvin :wink:

273.15+1.13 = 274.28 or 274?

Not that I know what the answer to the original question is. Significant digits are faulty by design, and the deeper you look, the more messy it gets.

Borek said:

Not that I know what the answer to the original question is. Significant digits are faulty by design, and the deeper you look, the more messy it gets.

Converting to Kelvin seems like a good idea for achieving the best accuracy.

Borek said:

What I learned tells me that the two decimal places in both numbers are significant, so the answer would be 274.28.

After thinking more about it, I'd say that 0 and 0.0 both have one significant digit even though I still can't think of a rule from the textbook that justifies it.

What are significant digits?

Significant digits are the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. They are the non-zero digits and any zero digits that are in between non-zero digits. For example, in the number 1050, there are 3 significant digits (1, 5, and 0).

Is 0 considered a significant digit?

No, 0 is not considered a significant digit. It is only used as a placeholder to indicate the magnitude of a number, but it does not contribute to the accuracy or precision of the number itself.

How many significant digits are in 0?

There are no significant digits in 0. This is because all the digits in 0 are zeros, which are not considered significant.

How many significant digits are in 0.0?

There is only 1 significant digit in 0.0. The trailing zero in this number is not significant and is only used to indicate the precision of the number.

Why is it important to know the number of significant digits in a measurement?

The number of significant digits in a measurement tells us how precise and accurate the measurement is. It also helps us to determine the level of uncertainty in the measurement and the level of confidence we can have in the result. Knowing the significant digits is crucial in scientific calculations and data analysis.