First order differential equation

In summary, the equation y'+ky(e^-t)=l(e^-3t) is of the form dy/dt + p(t)y =q(t) and can be solved using an integrating factor of the form e^{integral[p(t)dt]}, where p(t) = ke^(-t). The integrating factor found is (-t) and multiplying both sides of the original equation brings the solution to a new full stop. The correct integrating factor is actually y = e^{-k*e^(-t)}, found by taking the ln of both sides. However, there is still uncertainty on how to proceed with ln(y) = k*ln(t).
elmarsur

Homework Statement

y is a function of t

Homework Equations

y'+ky(e^-t)=l(e^-3t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering that the equation is of the form dy/dt + p(t)y =q(t) , I have been looking for an integrating factor of the form: e^{integral[p(t)dt]}, where p(t) = ke^(-t)
If I calculated correctly, the integrating factor I found is (-t).
Multiplying both sides of the original equation just brought me to a new full stop.

Thank you very much for any guidance and correction.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate the integral of k*e^(-t) and get (-t)??

Thank you!
I ended with integrating factor y = e^{-k*e^(-t)}
I took ln of both sides but wrote it wrongly. Nonetheless, if I get ln(y) = k*ln(t) I still don't know how to follow.
Unless, of course, this is not right either.

Thank you for any input.

Related to First order differential equation

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It involves only the first derivative of the function.

2. What is the general form of a first order differential equation?

The general form of a first order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. This equation represents the rate of change of y with respect to x.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factor, or substitution. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and its variables.

4. What are the applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model and analyze various processes that involve rates of change, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any real-life examples of first order differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of first order differential equations. Some common examples include the decay of radioactive materials, the cooling of a cup of coffee, and the spread of diseases in a population. These processes can all be described by first order differential equations.