Speed loss during gear change

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment to create an Excel workbook for calculating acceleration time and top speeds of race cars with different gear ratios. The person has already calculated the time to reach top speed but wants to add more detail by showing the speed loss during gear changes. The car's mass, drag coefficient, air density, frontal area, and rolling resistance are given, as well as the shift time. The formula for calculating momentum and drag force at the start of a gear change is also provided. One person suggests using formulas for speed as a function of time to model rolling friction, and provides an example equation for this. The conversation ends with the person seeking help and expressing gratitude for any assistance.
ajwillenbrook
Hey

I have a assignment to produce a excel work book to calculate acceleration time and top speeds for different gear ratios in race cars. I have so far work out time to accelerate to top speed, but I want to add a bit more detail to my graphs by showing the speed loss during gear changes.

car mass - 600kg
drag coefficient - 1.3
density air - 1.225kg/m^3
frontal area - 0.4m^2
rolling resistance = 125N
shift time - 0.5 seconds

I can work out the momentum and drag forces at the point the clutch is pressed at the start of the gear change using

momentum = mass * velocity
= 600v

drag force = (0.5 * coefficient drag * density air * frontal area * velocity^2)+ rolling resistance
= 125+0.3185v^2

Sure it can be work out using calculus but has been many years since I last did that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you model rolling friction as a constant force. If that is really what you want to do, perhaps you can find some formulas describing speed as function of time in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393048

Normally, though, one would model rolling friction as proportional to speed, that is, your equation of motion during gear shift would be

[tex] m \dot{v} = -k v^2 - c v[/tex]

where [itex]m, k, c > 0[/itex]. The c constant is the one corresponding to your 125N (at some speed?) If I quickly integrate this (assuming this is not really part of your homework, and if it is, you should figure out to do this integral yourself), I get

[tex] v = \frac{d}{(1 + d/v_0)\exp(ct/m)-1} [/tex]

where v0 is the initial speed at t = 0 and [itex] d = c/k[/itex].

1. Why does speed decrease during gear change?

Speed decreases during gear change because the engine needs to disengage from the current gear and engage with the new gear. This process takes time and causes a temporary decrease in speed.

2. Does every vehicle experience speed loss during gear change?

Yes, every vehicle experiences speed loss during gear change because it is a fundamental function of the transmission system.

3. Can gear change affect the overall speed of the vehicle?

Yes, gear change can affect the overall speed of the vehicle. Higher gears are designed for higher speeds, so shifting into a higher gear can increase the speed of the vehicle. On the other hand, shifting into a lower gear can decrease the speed of the vehicle.

4. Is there a way to minimize speed loss during gear change?

In manual transmission vehicles, an experienced driver can minimize speed loss during gear change by shifting smoothly and at the appropriate times. In automatic transmission vehicles, the transmission control module is programmed to minimize speed loss during gear change.

5. Can speed loss during gear change be an indication of a problem with the vehicle?

In most cases, speed loss during gear change is a normal and expected process. However, if you experience excessive speed loss or notice other issues such as jerking or grinding noises during gear change, it could be a sign of a problem with the transmission system and should be checked by a mechanic.