Is the Solution to This Standardized Test Circuit Problem Correct?

• Thread starter Firefox123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple circuit problem involving a battery, switch, resistor, capacitor, and lamp. The question asks what happens when the switch is closed and the answer given is that the lamp will flash on and off due to charging and discharging cycles of the capacitor. However, the experts in the conversation agree that this answer is incorrect. The correct answer is that when the switch is closed, the capacitor builds up an electric field and stays stable until the switch is opened again. There are no charge-discharge cycles. When the switch is opened, the capacitor will discharge through the lamp, causing a brief pulse of light. The experts also discuss the concept of a voltage divider circuit and the importance of considering a bulb as resistive unless
Firefox123
Simple circuit problem...

I was lookig at a circuit problem in a standardized test and I think the solution may be incorrect...

Here is the problem...

There is a battery (thus DC), a switch (open) and a resistor in series...followed by a capacitor and a lamp in parallel.

The qusetion asks what happens when the switch is closed and gives the answer as" the lamp will flash on and off due to charging and discharging cycles of the capacitor"...this does not sound correct to me.

The answer I would give is as follows...

When the switch is closed at t=0+ the cap looks like a "short" (since it hasnt built up any resistance via the electric field) and all the current flows to the cap...so the lamp doesn't light.

As time goes on the cap charges and eventually all current to the capacitor stops. So the cap has some voltage across it, which means the lamp (resistor) also has that voltage across it since they are in parallel.

Thus, when the switch is closed, there will be a current flowing through the lamp effectively lighting it.

Now it is true that the cap will try to discharge through the lamp even when the switch is closed...but wouldn't the discharge/charge time for the cap be so fast that there wouldn't be any noticable "flash" for the lamp while the switch is closed?

If anyone can tell me if I am off base here I would appreciate it...

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are no charge-discharge cycles. Once the switch is closed, the capacitor will build up an electric field and stay there, stable, until the switch is opened again. If the switch is never opened, nothing ever happens to the capacitor.

- Warren

chroot said:
There are no charge-discharge cycles. Once the switch is closed, the capacitor will build up an electric field and stay there, stable, until the switch is opened again. If the switch is never opened, nothing ever happens to the capacitor.

- Warren

Thanks for the response...your answer is what I originally thought...

The answer of "charge/discharge" cycles seemed confusing to me, so I tried to imagine a situation where that could happen with the switch closed...which is why I thought even if there was a charge / discharge time it would basically be instantaneous.

I won't be so quick to assume I am wrong and the answer in the back is correct next time...

Russ

What if the bulb was had definite turn on voltage, like I believe some of the small neon bulbs. Then the cap would charge until the turn on voltage was reached, the bulb would stay on until the voltage droped below a lower threshold. There is your charge/discharge cycle.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/1032/1032.html

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a voltage divider cct between the resistor and the lamp/capacitor that will only determine the intensity of light from bulb after the charging of the capacitor to the point where it is effectively fully charged in the circuit, at this time the bulb will stay lit at the percentage of intencity determined by the voltage divider between the bulb and the resistor(capacitor will no longer have an effect). in short switch closes no light, then brighter and brighter until maximum light and equalibrium in intencity. YOU WERE RIGHT!
ps. consider a bulb as resistive unless otherwise specified.
***when the switch is opened however, don,t expect the bulb to go out straight away as it will dim until extinguished.
***guess why! the capacitor is now the the battery (dc source)
***do the math! [with regards to charge discharge times. consider lamp lit until 0 volts (impractical but good exercise)]

Last edited:
Integral said:
What if the bulb was had definite turn on voltage, like I believe some of the small neon bulbs. Then the cap would charge until the turn on voltage was reached, the bulb would stay on until the voltage droped below a lower threshold. There is your charge/discharge cycle.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/1032/1032.html

I don't think so off the top of my head...but Ill have to look at the problem again. I don't think it was that complicated since its not really intended for someone with a background in EE...

But Ill check and make sure.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
don rigby said:
there is a voltage divider cct between the resistor and the lamp/capacitor that will only determine the intensity of light from bulb after the charging of the capacitor to the point where it is effectively fully charged in the circuit, at this time the bulb will stay lit at the percentage of intencity determined by the voltage divider between the bulb and the resistor(capacitor will no longer have an effect). in short switch closes no light, then brighter and brighter until maximum light and equalibrium in intencity. YOU WERE RIGHT!

I don't understand...are you saying the bulb would flash when the switch is closed or are you saying the bulb would not flash when the switch is closed?

Once the cap has fully charged it doesn't seem like the bulb would flash...

don rigby said:
ps. consider a bulb as resistive unless otherwise specified.
Right...that is the general rule I go by.

don rigby said:
***when the switch is opened however, don,t expect the bulb to go out straight away as it will dim until extinguished.
***guess why! the capacitor is now the the battery (dc source)
***do the math! [with regards to charge discharge times. consider lamp lit until 0 volts (impractical but good exercise)]

Correct...thats what would happen when the switch opens and the cap begins its discharge through the bulb.

Russ

the bulb will not flash
sorry i did not make that clear
don

Last edited:
Actually, the bulb will produce a very brief, slightly brighter pulse as the switch is opened.

This is because the capacitor has a much lower internal resistance than the battery. So, as soon as the capacitor is allowed to discharge through the bulb, that circuit has only the resistance of the bulb in series with essentially a non-resistive current source, the capacitor.

Try this one.

Place the bulb in series with the capacitor. Draw it so that the bulb is above the capacitor.

Now draw a switch on the right side that connects the top bulb connection to the bottom of the capacitor.

Now, on the left, draw your battery with it's negative lead connected to the bottom of the capacitor. Draw a switch in series between battery positive and the top of the bulb.

Closing the battery side switch will produce a pulse of light that diminishes as the capacitor charges. Notice the intensity and duration are based on the combined internal resistance of the battery and the bulb.

Open that switch and then close the right-side switch. This directly discharges the capacitor through the bulb, producing a somewhat brighter and shorter duration pulse.

"Actually, the bulb will produce a very brief, slightly brighter pulse as the switch is opened."

what you are suggesting contradicts ohms law.

for theoretical purposes:
in order for the bulb to burn brighter on initial switch opening do to internal resistances of the battery, the battery voltage must be dropping due to loading (which i probably agree with to a negligible degree, but only adds confusion to a quite simple concept)
in order to prove theory, we should keep the values understandable (what if we purchased a battery as large as my home town to operate a 40 watt incandescent bulb?).
practical application comes easier in time. let's help this guy crawl!

Hmmm, off the top of my head the bulb will turn on upon switching but will die down slower when it is opened again due to the discharge...

that is if memory serves me right

1. How do I determine the voltage of a simple circuit?

To determine the voltage of a simple circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, if you know the current and resistance of your circuit, you can calculate the voltage by multiplying them together.

2. What is the purpose of a resistor in a simple circuit?

A resistor is used to regulate the flow of current in a circuit. It is used to reduce the amount of current that flows through a particular part of the circuit, thereby preventing damage to the circuit or the components within it.

3. How do I calculate the resistance of a component in a simple circuit?

The resistance of a component can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I). So, if you know the voltage and current of the component, you can divide the voltage by the current to get the resistance.

4. Can I use any battery in a simple circuit?

No, you cannot use any battery in a simple circuit. The battery you use must have a voltage that is compatible with the components in your circuit. Additionally, the type of battery (e.g. alkaline, lithium, etc.) will also affect the performance of your circuit.

5. How do I troubleshoot a simple circuit problem?

First, check all connections in the circuit to ensure they are secure. Then, use a multimeter to check the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit to identify any abnormalities. You can also try replacing components to see if that solves the issue.