Troubleshooting a Boost Circuit: Voltage Rise & Gate Issues

In summary, the designer is having trouble testing their boost circuit, and may need to use a transformer to avoid overloading the circuit and causing problems.
core7916
Hello. I am creating a boost circuit and there is a lot of problems while testing.
Before creating circuit i have simulated circuit in modelsim.
Problems.
1. Sudden voltage rise from 40% to 50 % dury cycle. ( i am checking each duty cycle )
2. When applying a gate voltage to mosfet the the pulse is behave like charging and discharging (like capacitor charge and discharge). In 90% duty cycle the pulse is not reaching zero, similarly in 10 % pulse is not reaching pulse voltage ( 5v - from function generator). Frq= 300khz
* I am designing 5v input to 100v output.
Why this is happenig ?
* Should i use any other driving component to use drive the gate of mosfet?.

Engineering news on Phys.org
core7916 said:
When applying a gate voltage to mosfet the the pulse is behave like charging and discharging (like capacitor charge and discharge).
A power MOSFET is made from many MOSFETs in parallel. There is a very high total gate input capacitance that must be charged quickly. With a high output voltage, the miller capacitance between the gate and drain may become significant.

core7916 said:
Yes. The driver you need would depend on your choice of MOSFET and the circuit employed. It might only need a couple of BJTs to drive the gate.
Please post your circuit diagram.

core7916 said:
Sudden voltage rise from 40% to 50 % dury cycle.
By my limited experience such thing often means continuous/discontinuous operation mode transition. Check your knowledge/design regarding operation modes.

core7916 said:
At 300kHz, likely yes. There are some ICs for this specific role as 'gate driver'. You can do it with discrete components too, but far more simple with ICs.

core7916 said:
* I am designing 5v input to 100v output.
That feels like a bit too big step to do it efficiently. A transformer might be required, instead of a simple buck converter.

Likes DaveE
core7916 said:
Hello. I am creating a boost circuit and there is a lot of problems while testing.
Can you upload a copy of your schematic please? Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG copy of your schematic. Thank you.

Rive said:
That feels like a bit too big step to do it efficiently. A transformer might be required, instead of a simple buck converter.
Yes, easier with a flyback topology. You have to have big magnetics anyway, might as well put on another winding (or tap) and get back to a more reasonable duty cycle. Your peak to average current ratios will be stressful on things. OTOH, it can be done with a buck converter.

1. How do I troubleshoot a boost circuit that is experiencing voltage rise issues?

To troubleshoot a boost circuit with voltage rise issues, you should first check the input and output voltages to ensure they are within the expected range. If the input voltage is too high, it can cause the output voltage to rise beyond the desired level. You should also check the components in the circuit, such as capacitors and inductors, to make sure they are functioning properly. If all else fails, you may need to redesign the circuit to better regulate the voltage.

2. What could be causing my boost circuit to have gate issues?

There are several potential causes for gate issues in a boost circuit. One common issue is a malfunctioning MOSFET, which can be caused by excessive heat or incorrect wiring. Another possible cause is a faulty gate driver, which is responsible for controlling the switching of the MOSFET. Additionally, issues with the power supply or other components in the circuit can also lead to gate issues.

3. How can I prevent voltage rise and gate issues in my boost circuit?

To prevent voltage rise and gate issues in a boost circuit, it is important to carefully select and test all components before assembling the circuit. It is also important to follow proper wiring and layout guidelines to minimize interference and ensure proper functioning. Additionally, using a heat sink or thermal management techniques can help prevent excessive heat buildup, which can lead to component malfunctions.

4. Can a boost circuit be used with any type of power supply?

A boost circuit can be used with a variety of power supplies, but it is important to select a power supply that is compatible with the specific circuit design and requirements. The power supply should be able to provide the necessary input voltage and current to achieve the desired output voltage. It is also important to consider the efficiency and stability of the power supply to ensure proper functioning of the boost circuit.

5. How do I know if my boost circuit is operating efficiently?

The efficiency of a boost circuit can be determined by comparing the input and output voltages and currents. Ideally, the output voltage should be close to the desired level and the current draw from the input source should be minimal. You can also calculate the efficiency of the circuit by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100%. A higher efficiency indicates that the circuit is functioning more effectively.