Circular motion, oscillatory motion, SHM in springs

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a particle undergoing SHM to travel from point B to point D, given the distances and periods of the motion. Formulas for angular velocity and velocity are provided, and the given answer is i) 0.0275s and ii) 0.0942s. To find the velocities at B and D, the SHM formula for velocity is used. The distance formula is then applied to find the time it takes for the particle to travel from B to D. However, further calculations may be required to obtain the correct answer.
kingkong69
Hey there,
The Question
Points A,B,C,D, and E lie in a straight line. AB=BC=15 cm, CD=10 cm and DE=20 cm. A particle is moving with SHM so that A and E are the extreme positions of its motion. The period of the motion is 0.2s. Find the time the particle takes to get from B to D
i) if it is traveling towards D as it passes through B
ii) if it is traveling away from D as it passes through B.

Formulas
w=2pi/T (w=angular speed, pi=3.14159, T=period)
v^2=w^2(a^2-x^2) (v=velocity, w=angular speed, a=amplitude, x=stretched distance)

My attempt
First of all, the given answer is i) 0.0275s ii) 0.0942s

So, because A and E are the extreme points, with AE=60cm, therefore the a=30cm

Because period is 0.2s, 2*pi/T=angular velocity(w), so w=10pi=31.416

velocity at B: I used the SMH formula for velocity, v^2=w^2(a^2-x^2), x is the stretched distance, which is 0.15m from the center, so v^2=(10pi)^2*(0.3^2-0.15^2), v=8.162ms^-1

velocity at D: Same method applied, x=0.1m here. velocity at D=8.886ms^-1

From here on is just applied the distance formula with given distance, original velocity and final velocity. I think I messed up at this stage.

And finally deriving 0.029s, close but wrong :devil:

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Couldn't you just use x = 0.3*sin(ωt) and evaluate t at x = -.15 and x = 0.1? Better yet, put the x equation into your graphing calculator and see what it is for all times.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point, also known as the center of rotation. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as planets orbiting the sun or a ball being thrown in a circular path.

What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is the repetitive back and forth movement of an object around its equilibrium position. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as a pendulum swinging or a mass on a spring bouncing up and down.

What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) in springs?

SHM is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. In the case of springs, this means that the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to how far the spring is stretched or compressed from its resting position.

What factors affect circular motion?

The main factors that affect circular motion are the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. In addition, external forces such as friction or air resistance can also affect the motion of the object.

How is SHM related to circular motion?

SHM can be seen as a special case of circular motion where the object is moving in a circular path with a constant speed and the net force is always directed toward the center of the circle. In other words, the object is constantly accelerating towards the center, causing it to oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point.