Finding Potential and Charge across a Capacitor in a Multi-Loop Circuit

In summary, a 20.0 V battery is connected across capacitors of capacitances C1 = C6 = 2.9 μF and C3 = C5 = 2.00C2 = 2.00C4 = 4.7 μF. The equations for charge and potential over these three resistors are Ceq = c+c+c+c in parallel, 1/Ceq = 1/c+1/c+1/c in series, and q=V/C4.
Adm_Thrawn

Homework Statement

A 20.0 V battery is connected across capacitors of capacitances C1 = C6 = 2.9 μF and C3 = C5 = 2.00C2 = 2.00C4 = 4.7 μF.

http://imgur.com/ssxTC

What are
(c) V1 and (d) q1 of capacitor 1,

(e) V2 and (f) q2 of capacitor 2,

(g) V3 and (h) q3 of capacitor 3,

Homework Equations

Ceq = c+c+c+c in parallel, 1/Ceq = 1/c+1/c+1/c in series

C=q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved A and B for this problem, namely, the equivalent capacitance, and the charge.

C4 = 2.35, C2 = 2.35, C3 = 4.7, C5 = 4.7, C1 = 2.9, C6 = 2.9

1/C5 + 1/C3 = 2.35 + C2 + C4 = 7.05

C1 + C6 = 5.8

1/7.05 + 1/5.8 = 3.18e-6, which is the correct value for the C equivalence

Thus, 3.18e-6 = q/V(20) = q = 63.6e-6F

After this, I formed a small loop with the battery, C4 and C6.

Their C = 2.35 + 2.9 = 5.25e-6 = q/V(20), such that q = 1.05e-4

V = q/C4 = 44.68, but I know this can't be right because the potential can't be greater than the original potential, 20

I'm not certain where to go from here, in terms of finding the potential across or charge across these 3 resistors.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 1/7.05 is wrong and should be closer to 1/7.7 ? See,

Attachments

• C043.jpg
    C043.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,247
Yeah, I got that at first too, but if you notice from the 'trick question', it's 2.00C4 = 4.7, and with algebra is 2.35. Then 2.00C2 = 2.00C4 = 2.35 as well.

I got the equivalent capacitance of the circuits correct, and the charge is also correct. It's just the potential over the resistors that I don't understand how to get.

Thanks for replying though.

I read it wrong, thanks for pointing that out. Will try again.

I got your numbers, minus some rounding errors. See,

The thing to remember is the charge on two capacitors in series is the same and the voltage on capacitors in parallel is the same.

Good luck!

Attachments

• C044.jpg
    C044.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,336
  • C2045.jpg
    C2045.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,809

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and it is used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical charge.

What is potential?

Potential, also known as voltage, is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol V.

How do you find the potential across a capacitor?

The potential across a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on the capacitor by its capacitance. It can also be found by multiplying the current in the circuit by the total resistance in the circuit.

What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines the electromagnetic interactions of particles. It can be positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

How do you calculate the charge across a capacitor in a multi-loop circuit?

To calculate the charge across a capacitor in a multi-loop circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's loop rule, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in any closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. By applying this rule to each loop in the circuit, you can find the total charge on the capacitor.