Energy stored in Capacitor Network

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the capacitance of a network with a given potential difference and energy storage requirement. The correct solution involves using equations for capacitance and energy, as well as considering capacitors in series and parallel. The discrepancy in the final answer is likely due to rounding off error.
AlisonL

Homework Statement

A potential difference Vab = 46.0 V is applied across the capacitor network of the following figure.
Prob.24-68.jpg

If C1=C2=4.00μF and C4=8.00μF, what must the capacitance C3 be if the network is to store 2.80×10−3 J of electrical energy?

Homework Equations

U=(1/2)CV^2
(1/C) = (1/c1) + (1/c2) + ... capacitors in series
C = C1 + C2 + ... capacitors in parallel

The Attempt at a Solution

U = (1/2)CV^2
2.80×10−3 = (1/2)C(46^2)
C = 2.6 μF

Capacitance of C1 and C2 = 1/(1/4 + 1/4) = 2 μF
Total capacitance:
1/2.6 = 1/(2+C3) + 1/8
C3 = 1.85 μF

I can't figure out why this answer is incorrect. Help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your method is correct. Perhaps it's just round off error.? If I keep more digits, I get C = 2.6465 μF, which gives C3 = 1.955 μF. Is that the problem?

Likes AlisonL
That was it! Thank you so much, I didn't even consider that!

What is energy stored in a capacitor network?

Energy stored in a capacitor network is the potential energy that is stored within the electric field between the capacitors. This energy is in the form of charge and is measured in joules.

How is the energy stored in a capacitor network calculated?

The energy stored in a capacitor network can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2CV^2, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage across the capacitors. This formula follows the principle of energy conservation, where the energy stored is equal to the work done to charge the capacitors.

What factors affect the energy stored in a capacitor network?

The energy stored in a capacitor network is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and the number of capacitors in the network. The larger the capacitance and voltage, the more energy will be stored. Additionally, adding more capacitors in series increases the total capacitance, which in turn increases the energy stored.

How does the energy stored in a capacitor network change over time?

The energy stored in a capacitor network decreases over time as the capacitors discharge. This is due to the movement of charge from one capacitor to another, until the electric field between the capacitors is equalized. The rate of discharge is determined by the capacitance and the resistance in the circuit.

What are some practical applications of energy stored in a capacitor network?

The energy stored in a capacitor network has many practical applications, such as in power factor correction, where it helps to improve the efficiency of electrical systems. It is also used in electronic devices, such as cameras and flashlights, to store and release energy quickly. Capacitor networks are also used in energy storage systems, such as in hybrid vehicles and renewable energy systems.