The cycle of life? Fractal orbits and spin.

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible fundamental pattern in nature where smaller bodies have orbital momentum and intrinsic spin while orbiting larger bodies, seen in examples such as galaxies, stars, planets, electrons, and subatomic particles. However, it is pointed out that the motion of bound electrons is not the same as a classical orbit and the concept of spin in particles is not the same as literal spinning on an axis.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Greetings,

A thought occurs about a (possibly) fundamental pattern in nature.
Why are there several scales of magnitude in which a smaller body spins, while orbitting a larger body?

Examples.
1) A galaxy like the Milky Way has an orbital momentum around the core of its Local Cluster, the Milky Ways also has an intrinsic spin.

2) A star has an orbital momentum around the core of our Milky Way, the star also has an intrinsic spin.

3) A planet has an orbital momentum around the Star, the planet also has an intrinsic spin.

---jump to microscopic scales---

4) An electron has an orbital momentum around a nucleus, the electron also has an intrinisc spin.

5) A xxxx particle has an orbital momentum around an electron, the xxxx particle also has an intrinsic spin?

This seems like a pattern to me, albeit not hard science by any means. Yet its quite interesting to see this fractal pattern present in the largest and smallest of scales discovered by humankind. As far as I know, only 2) 3) & 4) are fact, but I believe 1) is true too (is it?).

If anyone can think of an example that precedes 1) or succedes 4), I'd be very curious to know. Thanks.:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Greetings,

A thought occurs about a (possibly) fundamental pattern in nature.
Why are there several scales of magnitude in which a smaller body spins, while orbitting a larger body?

Examples.
1) A galaxy like the Milky Way has an orbital momentum around the core of its Local Cluster, the Milky Ways also has an intrinsic spin.

2) A star has an orbital momentum around the core of our Milky Way, the star also has an intrinsic spin.

3) A planet has an orbital momentum around the Star, the planet also has an intrinsic spin.

---jump to microscopic scales---

4) An electron has an orbital momentum around a nucleus, the electron also has an intrinisc spin.

5) A xxxx particle has an orbital momentum around an electron, the xxxx particle also has an intrinsic spin?

This seems like a pattern to me, albeit not hard science by any means. Yet its quite interesting to see this fractal pattern present in the largest and smallest of scales discovered by humankind. As far as I know, only 2) 3) & 4) are fact, but I believe 1) is true too (is it?).

If anyone can think of an example that precedes 1) or succedes 4), I'd be very curious to know. Thanks.:!)

Problem with 4)
Bound electrons DO have an orbital angular momentum "around" a nucleus, but their motion is nothing at all like a Classical (that is to say Earth-like) orbit. A trajectory of the kind you are thinking of would invalidate the Uncertainty Principle. Also, whereas spin is an angular momentum, it has nothing at all to do with the concept of a particle spinning on an axis. In both cases there are parallels in concept, but no literal truth to the statements.

-Dan

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
...the Milky Ways also has an intrinsic spin...

Misconception here - a galaxy does not have 'intrinsic' spin like a quantum mechanical particle; you can derive its angular momentum from the motion of each of its component stars. You can not track anything moving in a circular path in an electron (this would violate HUP); its spin angular momentum is thus 'intrinsic'.

1. What is the cycle of life?

The cycle of life is the series of stages that all living organisms go through, from birth to death. This includes growth, reproduction, and death, and is essential for the continuation of life on Earth.

2. How does the cycle of life apply to humans?

The cycle of life applies to humans in the same way it applies to all living organisms. We are born, we grow, we reproduce, and we eventually die. However, the specifics of each stage may differ for humans due to our unique abilities and experiences.

3. What are fractal orbits?

Fractal orbits refer to the repeating patterns found in the orbit of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and stars. These patterns are caused by the gravitational pull of larger bodies and can be seen in both natural and man-made systems.

4. How do fractal orbits relate to the cycle of life?

The concept of fractal orbits is often used as a metaphor for the cycle of life. Just as celestial bodies follow predictable patterns in their orbits, living organisms also follow predictable patterns in their life cycle. This connection highlights the interconnectedness and repetition of life on a larger scale.

5. What is spin in the context of the cycle of life?

Spin refers to the rotational motion of a body around its own axis. In the context of the cycle of life, it can represent the continuous movement and change that is inherent in all living things. This movement and change are essential for growth, adaptation, and survival in the cycle of life.