Electric Field of a Capacitor with asymmetric dielectric

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding calculating the E-field of a capacitor with an asymmetric dielectric. The person asking the question receives a hint to consider adding floating metal plates at the boundaries and to show their own work. They then provide a summary of their thought process and question if their solution involving three capacitors in parallel is correct.
Mikey789
Hey guys,
if an question regarding a capacitor.
As seen in the picture there is a capacitor with an asymmetric dielectric e1 and e2.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5999/kondensatorti8.jpg

My question:
Who do I calculate the E-field of the capacitor?

thanks in advamce, help is appreciated!
Mike

Attachments

• kondensator.jpg
    kondensator.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 446
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to homework help.

You generally need to show your own work in order for us to provide tutorial assistance. This is a tricky problem, so I'll offer one initial hint -- would it change the problem at all if you put in a floating metal plate at the green/beige boundary on the left and one on the green/beige boundary on the right? Try picturing that, and think about how capacitors in series add. Please show your work...

berkeman said:
Thread moved to homework help.

You generally need to show your own work in order for us to provide tutorial assistance. This is a tricky problem, so I'll offer one initial hint -- would it change the problem at all if you put in a floating metal plate at the green/beige boundary on the left and one on the green/beige boundary on the right? Try picturing that, and think about how capacitors in series add. Please show your work...

Ok,
I know that the problem is in the middle...

If I just take the the left and the right part I have two capacitors in series.. which isn't a problem at all... the D-Fields are equal througout the capacitor and the E-Fields "change" at the boundary.. no problem here...

Now I take the middle part...
Depending on where I put the Gaussian surface I get inconsistent results... (see image 2)
In order to make the inconsistancy disapear I place electrons(+ or -) on the vertical part of the boundry.

->that would leave me with three capacitors in parallel

Is that correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• kondensator2.jpg
    kondensator2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 432
  • kondensator3.jpg
    kondensator3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 442
I would have split it in two. Why are you thinking of three?

1. What is the electric field of a capacitor with asymmetric dielectric?

The electric field of a capacitor with asymmetric dielectric refers to the strength and direction of the electric field that exists between the two plates of the capacitor when the dielectric material between the plates is not uniform or has different properties on each side.

2. How is the electric field affected by the asymmetry of the dielectric in a capacitor?

The asymmetry of the dielectric in a capacitor affects the electric field by causing it to be stronger on one side of the capacitor than the other. This is because the different dielectric properties on each side create a difference in the amount of charge that accumulates on each plate, leading to an unequal distribution of the electric field.

3. What factors influence the electric field of a capacitor with asymmetric dielectric?

The electric field of a capacitor with asymmetric dielectric is influenced by several factors, including the dielectric constant of the material, the thickness of the dielectric, and the voltage applied to the capacitor. These factors determine the strength and direction of the electric field.

4. How does the electric field change when the dielectric material is asymmetrically placed in a capacitor?

The electric field changes when the dielectric material is asymmetrically placed in a capacitor by becoming stronger on one side and weaker on the other. This is due to the difference in dielectric properties and how they affect the distribution of charge and electric field between the plates.

5. What applications use capacitors with asymmetric dielectric and why?

Capacitors with asymmetric dielectric are used in applications where a strong and directional electric field is required, such as in electronic devices, sensors, and energy storage systems. The asymmetry of the dielectric allows for a more precise control of the electric field and can also reduce the size and weight of the capacitor.