Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side

In summary: T to solve for T.In summary, the question is asking for the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side and a 100 kg box on the other side. The acceleration is found to be 2.45, but the correct answer is 603 N. The box is sitting on the ground, so the acceleration is zero. To solve for the tension, the equations m1a=m1g-T and m2a=T-m2g can be used, but since the acceleration is zero, the equations become m1g-T1-N=0 and T2-m2g=0. The tension on both the man and the box is the same, and the equations can be simplified to T
bigboss

Homework Statement

Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side and a 100 kg box on the other side. The box is sitting on the ground.

Homework Equations

Fnet= Tension- Force of Gravity

m1a=t-m1g
m2a=t-m2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I found acceleration which was 2.45, and i plugged it back into formula and got the wrong answer. I know the answer is 603 N, however, i forgot how i came to that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I applied the following :
m1=100 kg , m2=60 kg ,, m1a=m1g-T ,, m2a=T-m2g
(m1+m2)a=m1g-m2g and I get a=2.45 and T=735N in both sides,, so i don't think your answer is wrong ,, but I don't know :P

bigboss said:

Homework Statement

Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side and a 100 kg box on the other side. The box is sitting on the ground.

Homework Equations

Fnet= Tension- Force of Gravity

m1a=t-m1g
m2a=t-m2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I found acceleration which was 2.45, and i plugged it back into formula and got the wrong answer. I know the answer is 603 N, however, i forgot how i came to that answer.

The box is sitting on the ground, so the acceleration is zero.

Note that there is also a normal force on the box.

If a = 0 and there is N ,, the Tension of the man is different than the box right ??
m1g-T1-N=0
T2-m2g=0
are these equations right ?

Lord Dark said:
If a = 0 and there is N ,, the Tension of the man is different than the box right ??
m1g-T1-N=0
T2-m2g=0
are these equations right ?

The tension on the man is still the same as the tension on the box
The equations are right , but you may set T1 = T2

Related to Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side

1. How is tension defined in physics?

Tension is the force exerted on an object by a rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled or stretched. In other words, tension is the pulling force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope, when it is pulled from opposite ends.

2. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by the weight of the object hanging from it, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the strength and elasticity of the rope itself. Other factors such as external forces and friction can also affect tension.

3. How do you calculate tension in a rope?

To calculate tension in a rope, you need to know the weight of the object hanging from the rope and the angle at which the rope is being pulled. You can then use the formula T = mg/sinθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and θ is the angle at which the rope is being pulled.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the tension in a rope?

The weight of the object directly affects the tension in a rope. The heavier the object, the greater the tension in the rope. This is because the weight of the object creates a larger downward force, which must be counteracted by an equal and opposite upward force from the rope.

5. Why is finding the tension in a rope important?

Finding the tension in a rope is important in many real-world applications, such as construction, engineering, and physics experiments. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects and structures under different forces, and helps us ensure the safety and stability of these systems.