Find the equilibrium points and their stability in the system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium points and their stability in a system represented by the equations xdot = xy - 2y - x + 2 and ydot = xy + x. The first step is to determine the critical points by setting each equation equal to 0 and solving for x and y. This yields two critical points, (2,-1) and (0,1). The next step is to construct the Jacobian matrix and find the eigenvalues for each critical point. For the point (2,-1), the eigenvalues are 2 and -2, indicating a saddle point that is unstable. For the point (0,1), the eigenvalues are 2i and -2i, indicating
bjohnson2001

Homework Statement

Find the equilibrium points and their stability in the system

xdot = xy - 2y - x + 2

ydot = xy + x

Homework Equations

Jacobian matrix = g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

first find the points that a critical point would satisfy

rewrite xdot = x(y-1) - 2(y-1) = 0
rewrite ydot = x(y+1) = 0

if x = 2 then y = -1
if y = 1 then x = 0

This yields two critical points:

(2,-1)
(0,1)

construct the jacobian matrix and determine eigenvalues for each critical point

g'(x) = [(y-1) (x-2); (y+1) x]

A_1 = g'((2,-1)) = (-2 0; 0 2)

A_2 = g'((0,1)) = (0 -2; 2 0)

det(A_1-lambda*I) = (lambda-2)(lambda+2)

yields the roots: lambda_1 = 2, lambda_2 = -2

Since the roots are real and unequal with the opposite sign, the critical point is a
saddle point and is unstable

det(A_2-lambda*I) = (lambda-2i)(lambda+2i)

yields the roots: lambda_1 = 2i, lambda_2 = -2i

Since the roots are pure imaginary, the solution is an ellipse that is marginally stable?

I don't know how to classify the stability of pure imaginary eigenvalues. Do I call this marginally stable? Is this still called a center point even though it is centered around (0,1) rather than the origin?

Also I am concerned about how much work I am showing and the completeness of the solution. The if x then y procedure seems especially informal..I want to provide the most complete solution possible to demonstrate I understand the concept.

Any advice or criticism is encouraged and appreciated! Thank you

Attachments

• phase portrait.png
    phase portrait.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 610
Physics news on Phys.org
Eigenvalues which are pure imaginary are "centers" no matter where they're located and are stable since they remain bounded however this may not always reflect the behavior of the non-linear system. That is, the non-linear system may in fact be a spiral source or sink which only does so slowly. Nice plot.

Related to Find the equilibrium points and their stability in the system

1. What is the definition of equilibrium points in a system?

Equilibrium points, also known as steady states, are points in a system where the state variables (such as position, velocity, or concentration) do not change over time, meaning that the system is in a stable or balanced state.

2. How do you find the equilibrium points in a system?

To find the equilibrium points, you need to set the derivative of each state variable to zero and solve for the values of the variables that satisfy this condition. These values represent the equilibrium points in the system.

3. What is the significance of determining the stability of equilibrium points in a system?

The stability of equilibrium points is important because it tells us whether the system will return to its original state after a disturbance or if it will continue to change. A stable equilibrium point means that the system is robust and can resist external influences, while an unstable equilibrium point indicates that the system is highly sensitive to small disturbances.

4. How do you determine the stability of equilibrium points?

To determine the stability of equilibrium points, you can use techniques such as linearization, phase plane analysis, or Lyapunov stability theory. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the system near the equilibrium point and evaluating the sign of the derivatives of the state variables.

5. Can a system have more than one equilibrium point?

Yes, a system can have multiple equilibrium points. In fact, most real-world systems have multiple equilibrium points that represent different stable states. It is important to identify and analyze all equilibrium points in a system to fully understand its behavior.