Is there a way to diagonalize a symmetric matrix without using a calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of diagonalizing a matrix and finding P such that P^-1AP = P^TAP is a diagonal matrix. The matrix A is associated with a quadratic form and the objective is to show that it is positive definite. However, the roots of the characteristic polynomial are difficult to find without a calculator. An alternative approach is suggested, using calculus to show that the eigenvalue equation has three positive roots.
Locoism

Homework Statement

I need to diagonalize the matrix A=
1 2 3
2 5 7
3 7 11

The Attempt at a Solution

Subtracting λI and taking the determinant, the characteristic polynomial is
λ3 - 17λ2 + 9λ - 1 (I have checked this over and over)

The problem now is it has some ugly roots, none that I would never be able to find without a calculator (which is sort of the objective here). Anyways, is there some other way to find P such that
P-1AP = PTAP is a diagonal matrix?

*edit* I would just add that the matrix A is the matrix associated to the quadratic form q(v) = x2 + 5y2 + 11z2 + 4xy + 6xz + 14yz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Locoism said:

Homework Statement

I need to diagonalize the matrix A=
1 2 3
2 5 7
3 7 11

The Attempt at a Solution

Subtracting λI and taking the determinant, the characteristic polynomial is
λ3 - 17λ2 + 9λ - 1 (I have checked this over and over)

The problem now is it has some ugly roots, none that I would never be able to find without a calculator (which is sort of the objective here). Anyways, is there some other way to find P such that
P-1AP = PTAP is a diagonal matrix?

*edit* I would just add that the matrix A is the matrix associated to the quadratic form q(v) = x2 + 5y2 + 11z2 + 4xy + 6xz + 14yz

It is true the roots are ugly. And there's no way to diagonalize that without some calculator assistance. On the other hand is that really the question? Do you want to show it's positive definite? Then you just need to show the eigenvalue equation has three positive roots. You can do that with calculus. Find the critical points of the eigenvalue equation. Basically, sketch a graph of it.

1. What does it mean to diagonalize a symmetric matrix?

Diagonalizing a symmetric matrix means finding a new matrix that has the same eigenvalues but is in a diagonal form.

2. Why is it important to diagonalize a symmetric matrix?

Diagonalizing a symmetric matrix simplifies many calculations and allows for easier analysis of the matrix's properties.

3. How do you diagonalize a symmetric matrix?

To diagonalize a symmetric matrix, you need to find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and then use them to construct a diagonal matrix.

4. Can all symmetric matrices be diagonalized?

Yes, all symmetric matrices can be diagonalized as long as they have distinct eigenvalues.

5. What are the applications of diagonalizing a symmetric matrix?

Diagonalizing a symmetric matrix is used in many areas of science and engineering, including quantum mechanics, data analysis, and computer graphics.