Do ETS Tests Round Down Raw Scores?

• Thread starter dans595
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the ETS Raw Score Calculation is a method used by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to calculate the raw scores of standardized tests. This involves converting the number of correct answers on a test into a numerical score, which is then converted into a scaled score for fair comparison between different versions of the test. While the raw score can be improved by answering more questions correctly, it is not the only factor that determines a test-taker's score. Other factors, such as the difficulty level of the test and the scoring scale, also play a role.
dans595
Do they round down? They say your raw score is C - I/4 where C is number of correct answers and I is number of incorrect answers.

Somebody told me that on other tests, ETS tends to round down. I.e., they might use something like:

C - ceiling(I/4)

Does anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably rounds down, but ultimately it really doesn't matter...

One point will not make or break your score. Don't worry about it.

What is ETS Raw Score Calculation?

The ETS Raw Score Calculation is a method used by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to calculate the raw scores of standardized tests, such as the GRE, TOEFL, and SAT. It involves converting the number of correct answers on a test into a numerical score.

How is the ETS Raw Score Calculated?

The ETS Raw Score is calculated by assigning a point value to each question on a test and then adding up the total number of points earned by the test-taker. This raw score is then converted into a scaled score, which takes into account the difficulty level of the questions and allows for fair comparison between different versions of the test.

What is the difference between a raw score and a scaled score?

A raw score is the total number of points earned on a test, while a scaled score is a converted score that takes into account the difficulty level of the questions. This allows for fair comparison between different versions of the test and ensures that a score of, for example, 75 on one version of the test is equivalent to a score of 75 on another version of the test.

Can the ETS Raw Score be improved?

Yes, the ETS Raw Score can be improved by answering more questions correctly. However, since the raw score is based solely on the number of correct answers, it is important to also focus on understanding the material and test-taking strategies in order to improve the scaled score.

Is the ETS Raw Score the only factor that determines a test-taker's score?

No, the ETS Raw Score is just one element that contributes to a test-taker's final score. Other factors, such as the difficulty level of the test, the number of questions answered, and the scoring scale of the test, also play a role in determining a test-taker's score.