Are Focal Radii Equal to 2a in an Ellipse?

• Thread starter xLaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the sum of the distance from each focus to an ellipse is equal to the length of the major axis (2a). This can be easily demonstrated by using a loop of string and thumbtacks to draw an ellipse, where the distance from each focus to the ellipse can be seen as the length of the string. This method only works for ellipses and not hyperbolas.
xLaser
In an ellipse, with center (0,0) can you assume the focal radii to be equal to 2a? where 2a is the length of the major axis?

how about with center (h,k)?

I'm pretty sure I read before that u cannot assume it to be 2a in an ellipse, only in hyperbola's. BUt my teacher tells me otherwise.

Please advice,

thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the equation for an ellipse which has the center in the point (h,k) and semiaxis (a,b)??

Daniel.

xLaser said:
In an ellipse, with center (0,0) can you assume the focal radii to be equal to 2a? where 2a is the length of the major axis?

how about with center (h,k)?

I'm pretty sure I read before that u cannot assume it to be 2a in an ellipse, only in hyperbola's. BUt my teacher tells me otherwise.

Please advice,

thx.
I assume you're talking about the sum of the distance from each focus to the ellipse. If so, your teacher is correct.

In fact, that's the easiest way to draw an ellipse. Thumbtack a piece of paper to a piece of cardboard with the thumbtacks somewhere near the center of the paper. Place a loop of string around the tacks. Pull the loop taut with your pencil and start drawing, always keeping your string taut. Since the distance between the tacks isn't changing and the length of the loop isn't changing, you can be sure the length from one focus to the pencil plus the length from the pencil to the other focus remains constant.

How do you know that's actually equal to the major axis (2a)? Put your pencil at one of the vertexes. You have your distance from the far focus plus the distance from the near focus. If the distance from the near focus to the ellipse is the same as when you repeat this exercise on the opposite side of the ellipse, then the total distance must be equal to the length of the major axis. The length of the string is constant and the distance between the tacks is constant, so it must give the same length regardless of which vertex you chose to do this on.

Hopefully, that comes across in words. If you actually draw the ellipse using the loop and tacks and play with it a little, it becomes pretty obvious why your teacher's correct even without any words.

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of geometric shape that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It is similar to a circle, but has two focal points instead of one.

2. What are focal radii?

Focal radii are the two lines that connect the two focal points of an ellipse to any point on its circumference. They are often referred to as semi-major and semi-minor axes.

3. Are focal radii equal to 2a in an ellipse?

Yes, in an ellipse, the sum of the two focal radii is equal to the length of the major axis, which is denoted by 2a. Therefore, each focal radius is equal to a.

4. How do you find the length of the major axis in an ellipse?

The length of the major axis, denoted by 2a, can be found by multiplying the distance between the two focal points (2c) by the eccentricity (e) of the ellipse. The formula is 2a = 2ce.

5. Why are focal radii important in ellipses?

Focal radii play an important role in defining the shape and properties of an ellipse. They help determine the length of the major and minor axes, the eccentricity, and the focus of the ellipse. They are also used in various applications such as astronomy, engineering, and physics.