How can torque and magnetic field affect the power output of an electric motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an electric motor with a flat, rectangular coil rotor and a uniform magnetic field. The rotor rotates at a steady speed and the conversation focuses on finding the maximum torque, peak power output, work performed by the magnetic field, and average power of the motor. The individual seeking help has solved part A and is stuck on part B, and has provided a link for potential assistance but is still unsure about the problem. They have attempted to use the formula P = tw but it did not yield the desired result.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

The rotor in a certain electric motor is a flat, rectangular coil with 80 turns of wire and dimensions 2.50 cm by 4.00 cm. The rotor rotates in a uniform magnetic field of 0.800 T. When the plane of the rotor is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field, it carries a current of 7.5 mA. In this orientation, the magnetic moment of the rotor is directed opposite the magnetic field. The rotor then turns through one-half revolution. This process is repeated to cause the rotor to turn steadily at 3600 rev/min.

(a) Find the maximum torque acting on the rotor.
(b) Find the peak power output of the motor.
(c) Determine the amount of work performed by the magnetic field on the rotor in every full revolution.
(d) What is the average power of the motor?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part A) and found the max torque to be 4.80 e(-4) Nm. I am stuck on part b. I can find the max and min potential energy of the system but I don't know how that would help. Not sure how to go about this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last try, can anyone help me get part b?

Thanks for the link, but I am still confused on this problem.

I have the max torque so I though I could calculate the max power since P = tw and I have the angular velocity. But that didn't work. If anyone has an ideas I would be grateful.

1. What is torque in relation to a magnetic field?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force exerted on an object, in this case a magnet, when placed in a magnetic field. It is the product of the magnetic field strength, the perpendicular distance from the center of the magnet to the point where the force is applied, and the sine of the angle between the two vectors.

2. How is torque affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of torque exerted on a magnet. This means that the stronger the magnetic field, the greater the torque on the magnet will be.

3. What is the relationship between torque and the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field has a significant impact on the torque exerted on a magnet. The torque will be greatest when the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the magnet, and will be zero when the magnetic field is parallel to the magnet.

4. Can torque be used to control the motion of a magnet?

Yes, torque can be used to control the motion of a magnet. By adjusting the direction and strength of the magnetic field, the torque on the magnet can be manipulated to either attract or repel the magnet, causing it to move in a desired direction.

5. How does torque play a role in electric motors?

In electric motors, torque is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. The magnetic field created by the motor interacts with the field of a permanent magnet, causing the motor to rotate and produce torque. This torque is then transferred to the motor's output shaft, allowing it to perform mechanical work.