? I don't understand this answer

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to find a function f(x) such that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sqrt{1+ 3cos(x)}- 2}{2x}= f'(a)[/itex]. However, they get confused and end up with an incorrect answer.
moe darklight
?? I don't understand this answer

Homework Statement

The pdf attached is the answer to a question from a Calculus quiz. (the right hand side is a bit cut off, but the formula is repeated further down)

Edit: the "f(x) = ..., and a=0" part is the solution, not part of the the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok. I have no idea what she's doing here. when I do the derivative of the f(x) she gives as the answer, I get

1/2 (1+3cosx)^1/2 is

1/4 ((1+3cosx)^-1/2)(-3sinx) = -3sinx / 4 sqrt(1+3cosx)

which is not even close to the original f'(x) she posted...

can anyone show me how she got that answer? thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled1.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The derivative df/dx of f(x) at x= a is, by definition
[tex]\lim_{h\righrarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]

You are asked to find a function f and number a such that
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sqrt{1+ 3cos(x)}- 2}{2x}= f'(a)[/itex]

Compare that to the definition of the derivative. If you replace the x with h then you have
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sqrt{1+ 3cos(h)}- 2}{2h}= f'(a)[/itex]
or
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{(1/2)\sqrt{1+ 3cos(h)}- 1}{h}= f'(a)[/itex]

Since [itex](1/2)\sqrt{1+ 3cos(0)}= (1/2)\sqrt{4}= 1[/itex], it should be clear that you take f(x) to be [itex]f(x)= (1/2)\sqrt{1+ 3cos(x)}[/itex] and a= 0.

thanks. wow. I can't believe I didn't see that. gah. I did so poorly on that quiz. I don't know what happened. I was getting 80's and 90's, and on this quiz this morning I failed... and miserably. the whole thing was just a staring contest between me and the page. It's like I woke up 50% dumber today. I felt like writing an apology at the beginning to whoever marks it. This quiz is going to bring my overall mark down by 5%. bah. :cry:

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems through observation, experimentation, and analysis. It involves making a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

Why is peer review important in scientific research?

Peer review is important in scientific research because it ensures that the work is of high quality and meets the standards of the scientific community. It involves having other experts in the field review and critique the research before it is published, providing valuable feedback and helping to identify any errors or flaws in the study.

What is the role of statistics in science?

Statistics play a crucial role in science by providing a way to analyze and interpret data. They help to identify patterns, trends, and relationships in the data and determine the likelihood that these findings are due to chance or are statistically significant. This allows scientists to draw conclusions and make predictions based on the evidence.

What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, based on limited evidence, that can be tested through experimentation. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and extensively tested explanation for a phenomenon that has been repeatedly confirmed through experimentation and observation. While a hypothesis can be disproven, a theory is widely accepted as the most likely explanation for a given phenomenon.

How does science impact society?

Science impacts society in numerous ways. It has led to advancements in technology, medicine, and agriculture, improving our quality of life. It also helps us better understand the natural world and our place in it. Additionally, scientific research can inform policy decisions and aid in addressing global challenges such as climate change and disease outbreaks.