What is a Friend: Benefits & Reasons to Have Friends

• Thread starter Langbein
  • Start date
In summary, a friend is someone who provides support and companionship in one's life. While some may choose to live in isolation and focus solely on their own thoughts, most people are social creatures who desire connection with others. Friendship allows for shared experiences, growth, and understanding of oneself and the universe. However, the choice to have friends or not ultimately depends on an individual's personal desires and needs.
Langbein
What is a friend, and why should there be any reson to have friends ?

If I saved some money wouldn't it be bether to buy some food and some equipment to travel to some peak of a mountain or some island where it's absolote nobody else than me, and then to live there ?

Wouldn't it be a bether place to apply pure thinking and pure wisdom do get an bether understanding about myself and the universe ?

Why should I need friends or other people around me at all ?

Wouldn't it be bether to be a real philosopher and to apply the real pure thaught ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A better question would be: why should there be a reason to BE a friend to someone?
My answer: because humans a social animals.

"Virtue is its own reward, to have a friend you must first be a friend."
R W Emerson

People are by nature social creatures, and philosophy is the love of wisdom. Part of wisdom is accepting who and what we are.

Langbein said:
1) If I saved some money wouldn't it be bether to buy some food and some equipment to travel to some peak of a mountain or some island where it's absolote nobody else than me, and then to live there ?

2) Why should I need friends or other people around me at all ?

3) Wouldn't it be bether to be a real philosopher and to apply the real pure thaught ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I think you would get quite depressed unless you came to help the people every now and again. If we all lived isolated it would be so unproductive (not just time but perceived effort would increase with no one to talk to).

2) True. But then why do you need a partner? Or why do people want children? Or why do we like chocolate, and if not chocolate then something else? I think it comes down to being human, and we can't yet speak much further on that one.

3) Apply pure thought to what? Life? Society? But you wouldn't know much about society. Experience is important, you need to observe things to think over them. Who would have raised you if your parents had isolated themselves like this and saw no "benefit" in raising you? Although I will probably get deleted for this, I would say that God has put these mechanisms in our hearts and societies, so that we like each other as people and friends, so that we love our wife/husband (who should be the bestest of friends), and so that we feel mercy and compassion towards children. But of course this doesn't prevent further discussion on the matter of how our form brings out these qualities.

A good philosopher is not devoid of experience. I think the best philosophy is that which most people can understand and utilise.

Last edited:
Langbein said:
What is a friend

"A friend is someone you can call to help you move a house. A best friend is someone you can call to help you move a corpse." -- some comedian I saw on tv.

:rofl: funny, but a accurate definition.

why should there be any reson to have friends?

There's no reason to have friends if you don't want friends. There is if you do.
If you plan on being a completely reclusive philosopher, I don't think that's impossible. But it could result in some pretty "out there" philosophy to which most non-you people will not be able to relate ... but many reclusive artists'/philosophers' work if fascinating, if somewhat inaccessible and rant-like.

1. What are the benefits of having friends?

Having friends has numerous benefits, including emotional support, companionship, and a sense of belonging. Friends can also provide different perspectives and help us grow as individuals. Additionally, having a strong social network has been linked to improved mental and physical health.

2. How do friendships form?

Friendships can form in various ways, such as through shared interests, experiences, or proximity. Some friendships develop over time through regular interactions, while others may form quickly due to a strong connection or chemistry.

3. Can having friends improve our overall well-being?

Yes, having friends can have a positive impact on our overall well-being. Friends can provide emotional support during difficult times, reduce stress, and increase feelings of happiness and fulfillment. They can also encourage healthy behaviors and provide a sense of purpose and belonging.

4. How many friends should a person have?

The number of friends a person should have varies depending on individual preferences and needs. Some people may prefer a smaller circle of close friends, while others may have a larger group of acquaintances. The most important factor is the quality of the friendships and the support and connection they provide.

5. Can friendships have a negative impact on our lives?

While friendships can bring many benefits, they can also have negative impacts if they are unhealthy or toxic. It's important to maintain boundaries and communicate effectively in friendships to ensure they are mutually beneficial and supportive. If a friendship is causing more harm than good, it may be necessary to reevaluate its role in our lives.