Can someone help me figure this out?

• Thread starter curiousgeorge99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, to determine the number of revolutions per minute for a 15m diameter Ferris wheel to make a person feel weightless at the top, we can use the equations F=mv^2/r - mg and v=2pi*r/T. By setting these equations equal to each other and solving for T, we can find the time it takes for one revolution. Then, by converting this time to angular velocity (rad/s) and then to revolutions per minute, we can find the answer of 11 rev/min.
curiousgeorge99

Homework Statement

How many revolutions per minute would a 15m diameter Ferris wheel need to make for a person to feel 'weightless' at the topmost point?

Homework Equations

F= mv~2/r - mg
v = 2pi r/ T

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 8.57 m/s using the equation F= mv~2/r - mg
I think I need to use v = 2pi r/ T to figure out T. If I do this, I get T=5.49. I have no idea if this is right. If it is, then I'm not sure what 5.49 represents and how to turn it into rev/minute. The answer is supposed to be 11 rev/min.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know what the relationship between [tex]V[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] is?

V = displacement / time elapsed,

W = number of radians / second

Is that right?

Acceleration is A = change in velocity / change in time
Angular accel. A = change in # of radians / change in time.

This is about all I know. I'm not sure how they are related or how you get rev/min from here.

Its probably staring me right in the face but I still can't see it

You are on the right track with mv^2/r = mg, but that solves for the linear/tangential velocity (in m/s). Remember to convert that to angular velocity (rad/s) on your way to finding rpm.

[tex]v=r\omega[/tex]

do you know the relationship between [tex]\omega[/tex] and rev/min?

Is the relationship between W and rev/min: 0.1047 rad/s = 1 rev/min.

curiousgeorge99 said:
Is the relationship between W and rev/min: 0.1047 rad/s = 1 rev/min.

yes, do you know why?

No, no idea why. I just have that at the front of my textbook.

curiousgeorge99 said:
No, no idea why. I just have that at the front of my textbook.

[tex]2 * \pi[/tex]rad/s = 1rev/s right? cause [tex]2 * \pi[/tex] is the whole circle

Last edited:
ok, that makes sense!

thanks

I'm going to see if I can solve this problem now.

nope, still lost!

I think I'm stuck on where to start.

I keep trying to figure out the velocity in m/s then convert to rev/min.

Is there a better way to do it?

i have the same problem...

can any1 help?

try to do a free body diagram showing all forces when the person is at the top of the ferris wheel
then equate them
one of them will have what u want in it
and u are provided with what u don't know in the question

let us know if u still can't get it

1. How do I approach solving a problem?

When trying to figure something out, it's important to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what you know and what you don't know. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and test them out to see which one works best.

2. What resources can I use to help me figure this out?

There are many resources available to help you figure out a problem. You can consult with a mentor or colleague, do research online or in books, or attend workshops or classes related to the topic. It can also be helpful to keep a notebook or journal to track your progress and ideas.

3. How can I stay motivated when trying to figure something out?

It's common to feel frustrated or overwhelmed when trying to figure something out. To stay motivated, take breaks when needed and celebrate small successes along the way. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the ultimate goal or purpose of figuring out the problem.

4. What should I do if I get stuck?

Getting stuck is a normal part of problem-solving. If you find yourself stuck, try approaching the problem from a different angle or taking a break and coming back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also reach out to others for help or guidance.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and experience. Seek out challenging problems and work through them, reflect on your process and what you could do differently, and continue learning and expanding your knowledge in different areas. Additionally, collaborating with others can also help improve your problem-solving skills.