Line Integral (Flux) Calculation: A(1,4) to B(5,1)

In summary, the task is to calculate the flux line integral of the function \varphi(x,y)=2x+y+10 on a straight line from A(1,4) to B(5,1). The correct answer is 92, but the attempt at a solution involved incorrect equations and a misunderstanding of the formula for line integrals. The correct approach would be to parametrize the line as a function r(t) and then use the formula \int_S f ds = \int_a^b f(r(t)) |r'(t)| dt to solve the problem.
jahlin

Homework Statement

for [tex]\varphi[/tex](x,y)=2x+y+10 ,calculate the flux line integral...on a straight line from A(1,4) to B(5,1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it but didnt get the right answer.
first i found the quation of the line which i found to be y=-(3/4)*x
and then i set x=t (parameter) and insert t into the y equation=-(3/4)*t. 1<t<5
dx=dt;dy=-(3/4)dt

and i used the formula for line integral which is [tex]\int[/tex](2x+y+10)*(dy,-dx)
i subtituted the values for x,y,dx and dt into the above equation and integrated over 5 to 1..
the right answer is 92. i got -9.

Physics news on Phys.org
By mistake I have removed answer by hgfalling, sorry about that. Here it comes:

The equation of the line is definitely not y=-3x/4: the point (1,4) is on the line!

I'm not sure what your formula for the line integral is at all; is that supposed to be a dot product?
I suggest you parametrize your line correctly as a function r(t); it seems you are on the right track with this. Then

[tex]
\intop_S f ds = \intop_a^b f(r(t)) |rsingle-quote(t)| dt
[/tex]

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that calculates the total change of a function along a given path or curve. It is used to find the area, volume, or flux of a vector field.

2. What is flux in line integrals?

Flux in line integrals refers to the amount of a vector field passing through a given path or curve. It can represent the flow of a fluid or the movement of an electric or magnetic field.

3. How is line integral (flux) calculation performed?

Line integral (flux) calculation is typically done by first defining the path or curve (known as the "line of integration") and the vector field. Then, the integral is set up using the appropriate formula and solved using techniques from multivariable calculus, such as parameterization and substitution.

4. What is the significance of the points A(1,4) and B(5,1) in the calculation?

The points A(1,4) and B(5,1) represent the start and end points of the path or curve being integrated. They are used to define the bounds of the integral and determine the specific line that the flux is being calculated for.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integral (flux) calculation?

Line integral (flux) calculation is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be applied to calculate the flow of fluids in pipes, the electric or magnetic field around a wire, or the amount of heat transfer in a system. It is also used in economics to calculate the flux of money or goods between two regions.