How does an air flow bench work

In summary, a flow bench is a device used to measure air flow. The pressure should be the same at all points, and the metering elements should have a negligible impact on the performance being measured. The exact calculations you need should be supplied with the equipment, and can vary with the equipment.
kibestar
Hello, I'm new to these forums and they seemed like an excellent way to have my questions answered.

I'll start by saying that I've never had any course that dealt with fluid mechanics (mechanical engineering freshman), so I'm having quite some trouble grasping how readings on an air flow bench are to be correctly made. I'm using wikipedia's top image on its page on air flow benches to try to understand this topic:

Flow_bench_schematic.GIF

Firstly, when the air pump is on, what happens with respect to pressure changes in each plenum? Is the pressure change experienced in every point inside each plenum equally, so a difference in the positioning of the manometers wouldn't cause a difference in readings? And what exact readings of the manometers and calculations would you perform to obtain the air flow volume?

I apologize for any english related mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
To be accurate the pressure should be the same at all points - yes.
So you would have to wait for an equilibrium to be reached. This is easy to see - the manometer value stops changing.

All metering elements should be engineered to have a negligible impact on the performance being measured.

The exact calculations you need should be supplied with the equipment, and can vary with the equipment.
It is common these days for a computer to do that job.

But there does not need to be an equilibrium - only that the appropriate relationships are known.
These will have been determined empirically during calibration.

Thank you for your answer. But what if the flow bench is home made and the calculations are to be done manually? Suppose you turn the device on, disregard temperature differences between the plenums and read 'x' for the test manometer and 'y' for the metering manometer, what is to be made of those values in order to obtain flow volume? Thanks.

If you made the bench, then you will have to calibrate it.

The metering element is of a know size either sharp edge orifice or straight edge orifice that is calibrateed to a know test orifice. Its Cd coefficient discharge is known.

Before and after the orifice pressure differentials is measured and air flow in CFM is calculated Testing pressure of 28inches of WC is cylinder head industry standard but testing at lower and Or high pressures can be more beneficial for testing. This will all be influence on your air supply sources capability of you apparatus? Please note its not all about higher CFM numbers? You will learn more as you go along the flow testing path. Big holes flow big numbers but don't make big power!

I have already responded to another one of your posts but here it is again.
"Hi , join <http://www.flowbenchtech.com all> the information and question/answered you have in regards to " How a flow bench works ", you will find on this fourm.
This forum is dedicated forum to flow bench design and workings.
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=626
AND ALSO
Link to the Old Tractorsport Flowbench Forum. It is READ ONLY and is an archive only forum and can not be posted to. BUT holds valuable information on the topic of flow bench and flow testing procedures. http://www.tractorsport.com/forum/
Hope this information helps you "

Also join www.speedtalk.com a wealth of information that will be useful for you to soaurce information.

Also join www.speedtalk.com a wealth of information that will be useful for you to start your reading studys use the search function on the websites i have listed with key words of interest to you.

Get yourself pipemax software http://www.maxracesoftware.com/ and join Larry's website forum also http://maxracesoftware.com/bulletinboard/index.php?sid=0bceb2dd6ad50288b2fc0033e7ec29b8

Cheers

Last edited:

1. How does an air flow bench measure air flow?

An air flow bench uses a calibrated fan to push air through a test piece, such as a cylinder head or intake manifold. The rate of air flow is measured using a differential pressure gauge, which compares the pressure on either side of the test piece.

2. What is the purpose of an air flow bench?

The main purpose of an air flow bench is to test and improve the performance of an engine's intake and exhaust systems. It allows for precise measurement and comparison of air flow rates, which can help identify areas for improvement in engine design.

3. How does an air flow bench simulate engine conditions?

An air flow bench uses a motorized fan to simulate the air flow that an engine would experience during operation. The fan speed can be adjusted to simulate different engine speeds, and the test piece can be positioned at different angles to simulate different engine configurations.

4. How accurate are air flow bench measurements?

The accuracy of air flow bench measurements can vary depending on the quality of the equipment and the expertise of the operator. However, with proper calibration and use, most air flow benches can provide highly accurate measurements within a few percentage points.

5. Can an air flow bench be used for any type of engine?

While air flow benches are commonly used for testing internal combustion engines, they can also be used for other types of engines such as turbines or compressors. However, the test procedure and equipment may need to be modified to accommodate the specific engine design.