How to determine mdot for choked airflow through a valve, given T,P

In summary: The Local Mass Flow Function requires the Mach number, so p would be the downstream pressure and p_0 and T_0 would be the upstream properties.
CoryDinkle
TL;DR Summary
Compressible, choked airflow through an orifice
Hello, I am working on a project that involves air at high pressure and temperature flowing through an orifice (valve) from one container to another. For each container, the volume, temperatures and pressures are known. The valve diameter is also known, and the fluid is air (which can be considered an Ideal Gas). I am solving this with Matlab, using a forward differencing approach with a mass balance and an energy balance. I am interpolating specific heat with a table.

I have found some equations to determine flow that accounts for both unrestricted and choked flow, but they require the Mach number, which itself requires the flow velocity. I am having difficulty determining the flow velocity, as it is essentially the only component of the mdot that is unknown (A is known, rho can be found from the T and P, leaving v as the unknown).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the flow is choked, you know the Mach number at the throat by definition. Mass flow at that point only depends on upstream ##p_0## and ##T_0## plus the throat area and gas properties. Have you done a search for choked mass flow?

Hello boneh3ad, thanks for the reply!

Yes, I've done a search for choked mass flow (as I mentioned in the second paragraph that I have the equations for unrestricted and choked flow), and also yes, if I only needed the mass flow rate at choked flow this would be an easy problem, as I could just set the Mach number to unity. The difficulty with this problem is that I am trying to solve for a transient process; the pressure in the upstream container will be decreasing as the pressure in the downstream container increases (clearly the temperatures will change as well).

Being as it is a transient process, and not steady-state, I need to determine the Mach number for all timesteps (as the generalized equation for both types of flow requires the Mach number). Initially, the flow will be choked due to the large pressure delta, but that will eventually minimize such that flow will be unrestricted, and I will need to determine the Mach number during this process.

Hopefully this additional information clarifies the difficulty I am describing; I need the Mach number at all timesteps to determine the transient flow. To get the Mach number, I need the fluid velocity at all timesteps. Being as I am trying to solve for the mass flow rate with T,P, and A already known, the fluid velocity is the only variable I do not have. Yes, I can determine the velocity at exactly the moment when the Mach number equals 1, but I will need more than that.

I am currently looking into using the Local Mass Flow Function from White's Fluid Mechanics, as it does not require the Mach number, I just haven't had the time to attempt it in my code yet, as this project is not a high priority. If you are familiar with this function, would you happen to think that this is a good route? I can divide the Local Mass Flow function by (sqrt(R*T_0))/(A*P_0), and that should give me mdot.

1636747624427.png

Last edited:
I suppose a question I have is: for the above Local Mass Flow function, would p be the downstream pressure, and p_0 and T_0 be the upstream properties?

1. What is mdot and why is it important in determining choked airflow through a valve?

Mdot, or mass flow rate, is the amount of mass that passes through a given area per unit time. It is an important parameter in determining choked airflow through a valve because it affects the velocity and pressure of the fluid passing through the valve. In choked flow conditions, the mass flow rate is at its maximum and any further decrease in downstream pressure will not increase the mass flow rate.

2. How does temperature affect the determination of mdot for choked airflow through a valve?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the density of the fluid, which in turn affects the mass flow rate. As temperature increases, the density of the fluid decreases, resulting in a higher mass flow rate. Therefore, accurate temperature measurements are necessary in determining mdot for choked airflow through a valve.

3. What is the significance of pressure in determining mdot for choked airflow through a valve?

Pressure is a key factor in determining the flow rate through a valve. In choked flow conditions, the pressure at the valve outlet is equal to the critical pressure, which is the minimum pressure required for the fluid to reach sonic velocity. Any further decrease in downstream pressure will not increase the mass flow rate, making it an important parameter in determining mdot.

4. Can the mdot for choked airflow through a valve be calculated using standard flow equations?

Yes, standard flow equations such as the Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation can be used to calculate the mdot for choked airflow through a valve. However, these equations may need to be modified to account for the compressibility of the fluid and the effects of temperature and pressure on density.

5. How can the mdot for choked airflow through a valve be experimentally determined?

The mdot for choked airflow through a valve can be experimentally determined by measuring the pressure and temperature at the inlet and outlet of the valve and using these values to calculate the mass flow rate. This can be done using specialized instruments such as flow meters or by conducting a flow test in a controlled environment.