Sets: Proving Y^(XU{x})=(Y^X)x(Y^{x}) with Finite Sets and Singleton {x}

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the cardinality of the set of all functions from X to Y equals the number of possible mappings from X to Y, which is |Y|^|X|. The problem is how to show that one set is contained in another and vice versa. The suggestion is to use induction on the exponent, but a more direct approach is to simply count the elements. However, the need for a rigorous proof is emphasized.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
how do i show that Y^(XU{x})=(Y^X)x(Y^{x}) where X and Y are finite sets, and {x} is a singleton.
obvisouly i need to show that one set is contained in another and vice versa, the problem is how to do so?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for those who haven't undersatand, i need to prove |Y^X|=|Y|^|X|
i tried to prove it in induction on the exponent but i got to what i posted in the first post in this thread, can someone help me on this here?

Just write down a bijection, in the first post. Though the result you want to prove in the second post follows from counting the elements directly.

matt grime said:
Though the result you want to prove in the second post follows from counting the elements directly.
you mean because the set of all functions from X to Y, its cardinal equals the number of possible mappings from X to Y, which is |Y|^|X|, right?
still i think that i need a rigorous proof for this, and counting isn't as rigouros.

Of course counting is rigorous.

What is the definition of a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, which can be anything from numbers to letters to other sets.

What does it mean for two sets to be equal?

Two sets are equal if and only if they contain the same elements. This means that if every element in one set is also in the other set, and vice versa, then the two sets are equal.

What is the union of two sets?

The union of two sets is the set of all elements that are in either set. This can be represented using the symbol "∪". For example, if set A = {1, 2, 3} and set B = {2, 4, 6}, then A ∪ B = {1, 2, 3, 4, 6}.

What is the Cartesian product of two sets?

The Cartesian product of two sets A and B is the set of all ordered pairs (a, b) where a is an element of A and b is an element of B. This can be represented using the symbol "×". For example, if set A = {1, 2} and set B = {3, 4}, then A × B = {(1, 3), (1, 4), (2, 3), (2, 4)}.

How can we prove that Y^(X∪{x}) = (Y^X)×(Y^{x}) for finite sets and singleton {x}?

To prove this equality, we need to show that every element in Y^(X∪{x}) is also in (Y^X)×(Y^{x}) and vice versa. This can be done by using the definition of the power set and the Cartesian product, as well as the fact that the union of two sets includes all elements from both sets.