Cartesian Product - Proof

In summary: Yes, it is. Saying that "A= B", where A and B are sets, means that if x is in A then it is also in B and if y is in B then it is also in A.
Yankel
Dear all,

I am trying to prove a simple thing, that if AxA = BxB then A=B.

The intuition is clear to me. If a pair (x,y) belongs to AxA it means that x is in A and y is in A. If a pair (x,y) belongs to BxB it means that x is in B and y is in B. If the sets of all pairs are equal, it means that every x in A is also in B and vice versa.

How do I prove it formally ?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Dear all,

The intuition is clear to me. If a pair (x,y) belongs to AxA it means that x is in A and y is in A. If a pair (x,y) belongs to BxB it means that x is in B and y is in B. If the sets of all pairs are equal, it means that every x in A is also in B and vice versa.

Thank you !
This may not be as simple as you think. To start with, what do you mean by saying that two sets are equal? I think that the only way to make sense of that is to interpret "A=B" to mean that A and B have the same cardinality.

If a set $A$ is finite then its cardinality is just the number of elements it contains, denoted by $|A|$. If $|A| = m$ then $|A\times A| = m^2.$ So if $|B| = n$ and $|A\times A| = |B\times B|$ then $m^2 = n^2$, from which it follows that $m=n$. This proves that if "$A\times A = B\times B$" then "$A=B$" in the case of finite sets.

For infinite sets the situation is more complicated. There is a theorem of Zermelo that if $A$ is an infinite set then $|A\times A| = |A|$. From that it follows immediately that if $|A\times A| = |B\times B|$ then $|A| = |B|$. However, the proof of Zermelo's theorem requires the Axiom of Choice. In models of set theory that do not satisfy this axiom, it may be that your result does not hold.

Opalg said "
I think that the only way to make sense of that is to interpret "A=B" to mean that A and B have the same
cardinality
."

I disagree. To say that sets A and B are equal means "[tex]x\in A[/tex] if and only if [tex]x\in B[/tex]". If two sets are equal they have the same cardinality but the converse is not true. The sets A= {1, 2, 3} and B= {a, b, c} have the same cardinality but are not equal.

HallsofIvy said:
Opalg said "
I think that the only way to make sense of that is to interpret "A=B" to mean that A and B have the same
cardinality
."

I disagree. To say that sets A and B are equal means "[tex]x\in A[/tex] if and only if [tex]x\in B[/tex]". If two sets are equal they have the same cardinality but the converse is not true. The sets A= {1, 2, 3} and B= {a, b, c} have the same cardinality but are not equal.
In that case, the result becomes trivially true. If $A\times A$ and $B\times B$ are just two different names for the same set, then the diagonal elements of $A\times A$ (those of the form $(a,a):a\in A$) are duplicates of the elements of $A$. The same holds for the diagonal elements of $B\times B$. If those diagonals are the same, it follows that the elements of $A$ are the same as the elements of $B$, so $A=B$.

Yes, it is. Saying that "A= B", where A and B are sets, means that if x is in A then it is also in B and if y is in B then it is also in A.

If x is a member of A. then (x, x) is in AxA= BxB so x is in B. If y is a member of B then (y, y) is in BxB= AxA so y is in A. Therefore A= B.

It is trivial but that is the question asked.

Yankel said:

Thank you !
Let $a\in A$. Then $(a,a)\in A\times A$. Since we’re assuming $A\times A=B\times B$, this means $(a,a)\in B\times B$ and thus $a\in B$. Therefore $A\subseteq B$. The same argument with $A$ and $B$ interchanged shows that $B\subseteq A$. Hence $A=B$.

1. What is a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets to create a new set. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as a cross product.

2. How is a Cartesian product calculated?

The Cartesian product of two sets A and B is calculated by pairing each element of set A with each element of set B. This results in a new set containing all possible ordered pairs.

3. What is the proof of the Cartesian product?

The proof of the Cartesian product involves showing that for two sets A and B, the number of elements in the Cartesian product is equal to the product of the number of elements in set A and set B. This can be shown through a visual representation or using the fundamental counting principle.

4. What is the significance of the Cartesian product in mathematics?

The Cartesian product is an important concept in mathematics as it allows for the creation of new sets and is used in various mathematical operations, such as set theory, combinatorics, and geometry. It also serves as the foundation for other important mathematical concepts, such as relations and functions.

5. Can the Cartesian product be applied to more than two sets?

Yes, the Cartesian product can be applied to any number of sets. The resulting set will contain all possible ordered n-tuples, where n is the number of sets being multiplied. This is known as the n-ary Cartesian product.