A question in combinatorics. (perhaps implementation of the pigeon hole principle).

In summary: But [n+1-Q^-1,n+1) doesn't contain n-Q-1. If you take an element from [n-Q-1,n) and an element from [n+1-Q^-1,n+1), then their difference is between 0 and 1, and in particular, is less than 1/Q. But if you take two elements of [n-Q-1,n), then their difference is between -1 and 0, and in particular, is greater than -1/Q.i got it, thanks.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
let [tex]a\in R[/tex] and [tex] Q>=3[/tex] where [tex]Q\in Z[/tex], i need to prove that in the set {a,2a,...,(Q-1)a} there exists a number which its distance from the nearest whole number is smaller than 1/Q.
i got this as an assignment in topic of the pigeon hole, now i don't see how to use it here, what i did so far (havent yet finished) is first for the integers it's trivially correct, so i suppose that a is non integer real number, and first prove it for a between 0 and 1, and afterwards for a>=1, with symmetry we can see that if we prove this then it's trivially valid for the negatives.
so basically my proof is constrcutive, if 0<a<1 then the nearest value is 1 or 0, so either |a|<1/Q or |a-1|<1/Q, if they both arent valid we keep on going to the next number 0<2a<2, because a>=1/Q and 1-a>=1/Q we have that 2a must be between 1 and 2, and so we proceed as before.
my two questions are, is this approach valid, and is there any other proofs which might use the pigeon hole principle?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the thing you're asked to prove isn't true. Take a = 1/Q. Then no element of that set has a distance from a whole number smaller than 1/Q. There are two numbers whose distance is equal to 1/Q however, namely a and (Q-1)a. But we can prove in general that under the conditions given, there exists a number from that set whose number is less than or equal to 1/Q.

Partition R into Q classes

[tex]C_i = \bigcup _{n \in \mathbb{Z}}\left [n + \frac{i}{Q}, n + \frac{i+1}{Q}\right )[/tex]

for i = 0, 1, ..., Q-1. Let A = {a, 2a, ..., (Q-1)a}. Now if there an element of A in either C0 or CQ-1, then we're done. Otherwise all Q-1 elements of A reside in the Q-2 classes C1, C2, ... CQ-2. By the pigeonhole principle, at least one of these classes must contain two elements of A. Let Ci be such a class, and let ka and ma be the two elements of A in Ci. Without loss of generality, suppose k > m. Then (k-m)a is in A, and naturally it's distance from the nearest whole number is less than or equal to 1/Q.

As for your proof, it doesn't work. First of all, how do you deduce that 2a must be between 1 and 2? Take Q = 10, a = 0.11. Then |0.11| > 1/Q, and |0.11 - 1| > 1/Q, but 2a = 0.22 is not between 1 and 2. Anyways, you go on to say "and so we proceed as before" but this doesn't seem to go anywhere. You haven't said why this process will eventually find you a multiple of a that's at most 1/Q away from some whole number.

thank AKG.
just one question from your assertion we have that n+i/Q<=ka<n+(i+1)/Q
n+i/Q<=ma<n+(i+1)/Q which is -n-(i+1)/Q<-ma<=-n-i/Q
then by combining both inequalities we do get:
|ka-ma|<1/Q, and it's obvious why, cause when combining two inequalities i.e, 1>=1 and 2>1 we get 2+1>1+1, a strict inequality.

i think we need a closed interval here.

but i understand why it's not correct the way the question was stated first.

loop quantum gravity said:
thank AKG.
just one question from your assertion we have that n+i/Q<=ka<n+(i+1)/Q
n+i/Q<=ma<n+(i+1)/Q which is -n-(i+1)/Q<-ma<=-n-i/Q
then by combining both inequalities we do get:
|ka-ma|<1/Q, and it's obvious why, cause when combining two inequalities i.e, 1>=1 and 2>1 we get 2+1>1+1, a strict inequality.
What's the question?
i think we need a closed interval here.
Where? What are you talking about?
but i understand why it's not correct the way the question was stated first.
Good.

i mean that C_i should be a class of closed intervals, cause if it's a union of half open interval than we get a sharp inequality.

loop quantum gravity said:
i mean that C_i should be a class of closed intervals, cause if it's a union of half open interval than we get a sharp inequality.
If Ci is a union of closed intervals, then we don't get a partition of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. The Ci overlap, so the pigeonhole principle doesn't work. And no, we don't get a sharp inequality. Did you even read my post? The very first thing I did was given an example when we only get equality. Remember, pick a = 1/Q.

Next, note the following part in my proof:

Now if there an element of A in either C0 or CQ-1, then we're done. Otherwise all Q-1 elements of A reside in the Q-2 classes C1, C2, ... CQ-2.

From the second sentence, you showed that we get strict inequality. But that's the "otherwise" case. In the first case, where there is some element in either C0 or CQ-1, that's where we get the possibility of equality. Specifically, since CQ-1 is the union of intervals like [n-Q-1, n), our element of A might be n-Q-1, which is exactly (not less than) Q-1 away from the nearest whole.

C_Q-1 is a union of intervals: [n+1-Q^-1,n+1).

Yes, that's right.

1. What is the pigeon hole principle?

The pigeon hole principle is a mathematical concept that states if there are n items to be placed into m containers, with n > m, then at least one container must contain more than one item. This principle is often used in combinatorics to prove the existence of certain patterns or arrangements.

2. How is the pigeon hole principle applied in combinatorics?

In combinatorics, the pigeon hole principle is used to show that certain configurations or arrangements are impossible based on the number of items and containers involved. It helps to narrow down the possibilities and find solutions to problems involving combinations and permutations.

3. Can you give an example of the pigeon hole principle in action?

One example of the pigeon hole principle is the "birthday problem," which asks: how many people need to be in a room for there to be a 50% chance that two people share the same birthday? The answer is only 23 people, due to the large number of possible birthdays (365) compared to the number of people. This shows the principle in action, as there are more "pigeons" (people) than "holes" (birthdays).

4. Is the pigeon hole principle always applicable in combinatorics?

While the pigeon hole principle is a useful tool in combinatorics, it may not always lead to a solution for every problem. Some problems may require other mathematical concepts or techniques to solve, and the pigeon hole principle may not be applicable in those cases.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the pigeon hole principle?

One common misconception is that the pigeon hole principle can only be applied to physical objects, such as pigeons and holes. However, it can be applied to any type of items and containers, including numbers, letters, or abstract concepts. Another misconception is that the principle only works when the number of items is greater than the number of containers, but it can also be applied in reverse situations as well.