Calculating Kinetic Energy of a Charge at a Given Distance

In summary, the conversation is about finding the kinetic energy and change in potential energy of a charge in a uniform electric field. The person is unsure of the formula for finding the kinetic energy and is looking for guidance. They have already calculated the potential energy difference using the formula for work done by the field, which is equal to the change in kinetic energy. A link is provided for further help.
Aerosion

Homework Statement

I don't want to sound like I'm asking anyone to do my homework for me, but I really don't know how to find this.

Let me give an example problem: A uniform electric field of 2kN/C is in the x direction. A point charge Q=3 microcoloumbs initially at reast at the origin is released. What is the kinetic energy when it is at x=4m and what is the change in potential energy of the charge from x=0 to x=4m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the potential energy difference is the negative of the kinetic energy of the charge, and I know how to get the potential energy (integrate the electric field with regard to the increase in x and multiply by the negative of the charge) but I'd rather know exactly how to find the kinetic energy of a charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerosion said:
...but I'd rather know exactly how to find the kinetic energy of a charge.
Sounds to me like you just described how to find the KE of a charge as it is accelerated in an electric field. So I'm unclear what the problem is. Why don't you show your work for that sample problem and tell us where you get stuck?

Well, that's the thing: I don't know how to find the kinetic energy of a charge; as in I'm unclear as to what the formula is. That's why I said that I don't want anyone to think that they're doing homework for me: because I don't know how to get started.

Like, I know that KE=1/2mv^2, but I don't think that's any use in this particular problem. If the formula for KE of a charge is similar to the potential energy difference of a charge, and if I've already found it out (unknowingly), then could someone tell me?

Oh oh...and the work I did for PE is...

I used the change in potential energy equation -q=(integrate)E*ds, and subsituated 3microcoloumbs for q, 2kn/C for E, and 0 and 4 for the definite integral, such that it looked like

-3mC*(integrate fr. 0 to 4)2 ds.

Realize that the field is constant here, so no real integration is needed. The work done on the charge by the field is just F*d = Eqd. The work done will equal the change in KE of the charge. (Note that the work done by the field is just the negative of the change in PE.)

This might help you: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elewor.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is kinetic energy of a charge?

Kinetic energy of a charge refers to the energy possessed by a charged particle due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy of a charge calculated?

The kinetic energy of a charge can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the charge and v is its velocity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy of a charge?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy of a charge is Joules (J).

4. How does kinetic energy of a charge relate to electric potential energy?

Kinetic energy of a charge is directly related to electric potential energy. As the charge moves from a higher potential to a lower potential, its kinetic energy increases.

5. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a charge?

The kinetic energy of a charge is affected by its mass, velocity, and the electric potential it is moving through.