Finding Torque Applied to a Charged Rod in an External Electric Field

In summary, a long rod with a length of 4.0 m and a +8.0 µC point charge fixed at one end and a -8.0 µC point charge fixed at the other end is placed along the x axis with its midpoint at the origin. The x, y plane is filled with a constant external electric field with a magnitude of 5.0*10^3 N/C that is perpendicular to the rod. Using the equation F=qE, it can be determined that there will be a force on each end of the rod, one pointing up and one pointing down. The magnitude of the net torque applied to the rod with respect to the z axis can be found by considering the force and distance relationship
silvashadow
A long, thin rod (length = 4.0 m) lies along the x axis, with its midpoint at the origin. In a vacuum, a +8.0 µC point charge is fixed to one end of the rod, while a -8.0 µC point charge is fixed to the other end. Everywhere in the x, y plane there is a constant external electric field (magnitude = 5.0*10^3 N/C) that is perpendicular to the rod. With respect to the z axis, find the magnitude of the net torque applied to the rod.

I just don't know where to start. I just need a heads-up or a guide on how to start the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
So there will be a force on each of the ends from the external field, and torque is force cross distance. Just think about what would happen if you were to push on the rod with the appropriate forces that would correlate to what the electric field is doing.

I know that there is a force, two actually acting on each end. The problem is that I don't know what force can there be. Do I use the equation F=qE?

Yep. :)

One force will be pointing up and one will be pointing down. Torque!

How does a perpendicular electric field force a charge to move?

The field is perpendicular, you might be confusing it with parallel. Picture the rod lying on the x axis, and now picture an electric field in the y direction everywhere. The problem statement is a little vague on what happens afterwards, but presumably the electric field is always perpendicular.

1. What is torque applied to a charged rod in an external electric field?

Torque applied to a charged rod in an external electric field is the measure of the rotational force experienced by the rod when placed in an electric field.

2. How is torque calculated in this scenario?

The torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the charge on the rod and the distance between the rod and the pivot point.

3. What is the direction of the torque in this situation?

The direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the electric field and the rod, following the right-hand rule.

4. How does the magnitude of the torque change with the strength of the electric field?

The magnitude of the torque increases with the strength of the electric field, as it directly affects the force exerted on the charged rod.

5. What factors can affect the torque applied to a charged rod in an external electric field?

The factors that can affect the torque include the strength of the electric field, the charge on the rod, the distance between the rod and the pivot point, and the orientation of the rod with respect to the electric field.