Geometry & Topology REU Programs - Williams, Cornell, Tennessee, Indiana?

• Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Thread
In summary: The letters of recommendation are very important. They should be from someone who knows you well and can write about your strengths and weaknesses in a way that is unbiased.
It looks like the NSF shot down the Tennessee REU.

Physics news on Phys.org
sutupidmath said:
I have information that SMALL has not yet contacted all of its top choices! :) In other words, they haven't yet decided who their top candidates are, at least not for all positions. So, i guess there is still hope for some of us!

Sweet! Do you know which problems are still being looked at?

blackfedora said:
Sweet! Do you know which problems are still being looked at?

No, i don't know that! I contacted them through email, and they only told me that they were still in the process of making final decisions. So, i am assuming i am still part of the game, otherwise they would have told me right away that i have been disqualified.

being "in the process of making final decisions" might mean they're waiting to hear back from people who they have given offers to.

Those people might wait as long as they can before reporting back if their favorite program has a later deadline.

Last edited:
jeffasinger said:
being "in the process of making final decisions" might mean they're waiting to hear back from people who they have given offers to.

Sadly, that might be the case, indeed! But, they could have told me that they are waiting to hear back from their top candidates, like they did last year when i had emailed them.

I wonder if any of them are on this forum... watching us right now O.O

blackfedora said:
I wonder if any of them are on this forum... watching us right now O.O

Watching how pathetic we look >< That, indeed, would be interesting! Sigh!

Or maybe they are seeing how dedicated and enthusiastic we are! Or pathetic...

Last edited:
union68 said:
It looks like the NSF shot down the Tennessee REU.

I applied there. Bummer!

belle said:
Those people might wait as long as they can before reporting back if their favorite program has a later deadline.

When I got my offer from SMALL they gave me about 3 days to respond. They did say that if it was impossible they could work something out. But still, you don't have as long as you want for this program. For another program they gave me three weeks.

For those interested, SUNY Potsdam should be sending out offers (to their top choices) at the end of this coming week and UNC Greensboro should be doing the same toward the beginning of this coming week. I just thought that for those of you like me out there (impatient) it would be good to keep tabs on when you'll be hearing back. Good luck to those who applied!

zpconn said:
I applied there. Bummer!

Yeah, they had a project in metric space theory that looked kinda cool. Pretty much all of the programs that had a project related to analysis or general topology I applied for.

Uh-oh, stupid mistake on my part!

For UNC Greensboro I emailed my transcript instead of having it mailed. I noticed this today. The post office unfortunately is not open today, so I couldn't mail it with express or priority mail. I put the transcript in an envelope and put it in the outgoing mail box at my dorm. Hopefully it will get postmarked today. If so, I really hope this will be okay; the website does technically say that application materials have to be postmarked by the deadline.

Dang, this was even one of my top choices because of its blend of mathematics and computer science.

I guess this is what happens when I apply to 12 programs...

zpconn said:

For UNC Greensboro I emailed my transcript instead of having it mailed. I noticed this today. The post office unfortunately is not open today, so I couldn't mail it with express or priority mail. I put the transcript in an envelope and put it in the outgoing mail box at my dorm. Hopefully it will get postmarked today. If so, I really hope this will be okay; the website does technically say that application materials have to be postmarked by the deadline.

Dang, this was even one of my top choices because of its blend of mathematics and computer science.

Geeeeeeezzzzzz. Twelve? I thought getting 6 applications together was work enough...

Yeah... I underestimated the work by a huge margin when I put together the list!

I applied to 8, I might've applied for more but I also have a bunch of study abroad apps to worry about for next semester. I'm really ready to stop applying to things and actually get some **** done for once...

Hey owlpride (if you're still snooping around this thread), do you recall how long it took for Cornell to notify you of your acceptance after the deadline had passed?

The more I investigate the Texas A&M REU, I think the only one I'd pass it up for would be Cornell.

blackfedora said:
I applied to 8, I might've applied for more but I also have a bunch of study abroad apps to worry about for next semester. I'm really ready to stop applying to things and actually get some **** done for once...

Cheers to that, I'm tired of applying to different things.

union68 said:
Hey owlpride (if you're still snooping around this thread), do you recall how long it took for Cornell to notify you of your acceptance after the deadline had passed?

The more I investigate the Texas A&M REU, I think the only one I'd pass it up for would be Cornell.

Which project did you apply for Cornell?

I selected "Analysis on Fractals" as my first choice, but I made sure to tell them that I'd be cool with "Geometric Differential Equations" also. I am interested in both.

I asked and they let me send my transcript in by email. It probably won't be an issue.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the greensboro program? Any one who has gone there or heard anything about it? Not that this is my most important criteria by a long shot, but does anyone know anything about its prestige or anything?

I went to Greensboro. I don't know how it stands on prestige (hopefully high =) ), but I thought it was fun. Very work intensive, but worth it. That, and the program is fairly successful in terms of getting its results into publication/conferences...

Last edited:
I suppose I should have asked this sooner but what do you typically do on the weekends, or in the evenings during the week at REU's? I've heard you often live with people in your group on campus so I would assume it's mostly just laying low and discussing of the problems. Sounds great to me, but I was just curious what different people's experiences were.

In my personal experience (this might vary from REU to REU), it is mostly just lying low, yes, though relatively little time is spent discussing the problems... Usually, no matter how much you like it, having a break from your research at the end of the day is nice =)

Hey, does anyone know if they have sent out the offers to the top UNC-Greensboro applicants yet? I got an email and a call from the lady saying i was one of her top choices but I don't know if that guarantees me an offer. Just anxious to know whether others have gotten them yet.

messidona said:
Hey, does anyone know if they have sent out the offers to the top UNC-Greensboro applicants yet? I got an email and a call from the lady saying i was one of her top choices but I don't know if that guarantees me an offer. Just anxious to know whether others have gotten them yet.

I also spoke with her on the phone. She said they will let top choices know this week. I emailed her earlier today wondering if she had a better idea now versus when I spoke to her (Friday) but haven't gotten a reply yet. When I know, ill post what she says. Hopefully today or tomorrow. Good luck to you.

Edit: she said it's taking a bit longer than expected but she hopes by the end of the week, the initial offers will be made.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from Duluth recently? I sort of expected to hear back from Duluth by now since I think at least one person in this thread got a response immediately after the deadline.

zpconn, I'm in your position, too: haven't heard back from Duluth or SMALL, deciding on probable A&M offer. I want to know soon, either way! :tongue2:

What's the story with A & M. Have they already sent out their first round offers?

woot. just got an offer from UNC Greensboro and accepted right away. should be a great summer. those who also get offers/accept them: let me know - it looks like we'll be working together.

oh and to messidona, I'm not sure how closely you've been following this thread but i think a few pages ago some of the people said they received offers from A&M.

Anyone know anything about the REU at canisius?

Newtime said:
woot. just got an offer from UNC Greensboro and accepted right away. should be a great summer. those who also get offers/accept them: let me know - it looks like we'll be working together..

I got an offer from greensboro and canisius and am deciding now.

Got an offer from Nebraska today.

Cornell, where are you!?