Research experience for non-US undergrad?

In summary, the individual just finished their freshmen year of university and is interested in gaining research experience before graduation. They have tried to find opportunities outside of their school but have had difficulty finding organized programs. They are specifically looking for programs in English and during their summer or winter breaks. They are considering taking a semester off, but are unsure if it is worth delaying their graduation. They are open to self-funding up to $5000 USD. They also mention wanting to explore other fields of physics and possibly attend a program in the US to help with their future plans for graduate school.
Jadenee
Just finished freshmen year of university, and I would really like to have some research experience at one point before graduation. Well, I should not have much problem getting into my school's research lab since professors here are always asking us to consider joining their lab. And I would love to do that, but that isn't the only thing I want.

a) I would like to have an opportunity to participate in research conducted in other institutions aside from my school. I just want to see what it's like elsewhere.
b) I want an actual, organized program. The lab experience with my professors is more like "you can work for me any time" rather than an well-planned program designed specifically for giving undergrad students an ideal research experience.

My advisers don't know any programs like this, and I tried searching the web, checking websites that may have this information (my school, government science institute, physicist's society, etc). I found absolutely nothing. I guess REU isn't really a thing in my country? (Some schools have programs like this but they are for those schools' students only so...)

So far I tried getting some information about REU programs in USA but a lot of them are only for US citizens/residents or students that attend US universities. The programs I found that I am eligible for isn't really ideal as they either start before or end after my summer break (which is from forth week of June to last week of August). Taking a semester off is an option but is it really worth it? I honestly don't want to make awkward 3 months of doing nothing and delay my graduation that much just to attend a 6-week program.

I'm trying to find other options so if anyone can give me information on programs that I can apply I would appreciate it greatly. It doesn't have to be US program but I want the language of instruction to be English since it's the only foreign language I'm good enough to study physics in. Also, if there's a program that falls into my winter break, (from forth week of December to last week of February) that would be even better. Should self-funding be required, I think I can spend 5000 USD maximum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jadenee said:
I guess REU isn't really a thing in my country?
It would help to know which country that is.

Do you have some rough idea about the topic of that work? Cleaning lenses in a lab is probably easier than proving some theorem in quantum field theory without courses.

I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting from an "organized" program. And I'm not sure what the ideal undergraduate research experience is.

You have professors that want undergraduate students to assist with research. I'd jump on that. Otherwise if you're looking to get into a specific field, you can target specific places and people that are working in that field.

mfb said:
It would help to know which country that is.
South Korea. :)
Choppy said:
I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting from an "organized" program. And I'm not sure what the ideal undergraduate research experience is.

You have professors that want undergraduate students to assist with research. I'd jump on that. Otherwise if you're looking to get into a specific field, you can target specific places and people that are working in that field.
I guess I mean something like REUs in US universities by 'organized program' (although I figure REUs aren't that *organized* or whatever haha maybe I chose the wrong word.) Of course it is great that professors want me to help with their research, and I will jump on that. I already talked about this with some professors and currently trying to make up my mind between couple research I was offered to assist.
However, since one project leaves me with free summer break and the other with free winter break, I wanted to do something with it. Also, my school's physics labs are either condensed matter or quantum. Although I would most likely pursue a career in quantum information, I (hopefully) have the rest of my life for that, and I really want to experience other fields (such as nuclear physics or optics) while in undergrad. In order to do that I need to go to some other institution since my school does not really have any. One summer (or winter) will be enough for that matter and that's the only time I got so I want something that's meant to be done within university vacation. That's what I mean by wanting a summer program :oldsmile:
I'm planning on going to grad school in US so some experience in US can possibly be helpful, too.

My dad's friend actually said that I am welcome to spend my winter at his NMR lab so maybe I'll do that even though with one winter isn't enough to learn much about his research.

Last edited:

I completely understand your desire to gain research experience outside of your home institution. It is important to expand your knowledge and skills by working in different environments and with different researchers. However, I also understand your concerns about finding a well-structured program that fits within your schedule and budget.

I would suggest reaching out to other universities or research institutions in your country to inquire about any research programs or opportunities they may offer for undergraduate students. You may also want to consider reaching out to international universities or research institutions to inquire about any programs they offer for non-US students. Additionally, professional organizations in your field may have information on international research programs or opportunities.

If you are unable to find a structured program that fits your needs, you could also consider reaching out to individual researchers whose work interests you and inquire about potential research opportunities. This could involve self-funding or finding a way to incorporate the research into your academic schedule.

Ultimately, it is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons of taking a semester off for a research program. While it can provide valuable experience, it may also delay your graduation and have financial implications. It may be helpful to discuss your options with your academic advisor or other mentors in your field to determine the best course of action for your individual situation.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a research program that meets your needs and helps you achieve your goals. Keep searching and exploring your options, and I am confident you will find a valuable research experience that will enhance your academic and professional development.

1. What is research experience for non-US undergrad?

Research experience for non-US undergrad refers to the opportunity for undergraduate students from countries outside of the United States to gain hands-on experience in scientific research. This can include participating in research projects, working in a laboratory, or conducting independent research under the guidance of a mentor.

2. Why is research experience important for non-US undergrad students?

Research experience is important for non-US undergrad students as it provides them with practical skills and knowledge that can enhance their academic and professional development. It also allows them to gain exposure to different research methodologies and techniques, and potentially contribute to the advancement of science in their home countries.

3. How can non-US undergrad students find research experience opportunities?

Non-US undergrad students can find research experience opportunities by reaching out to their university's research department or faculty members, attending conferences and networking events, and searching for internships or programs specifically designed for international students.

4. What are the benefits of having research experience as a non-US undergrad?

Having research experience as a non-US undergrad can benefit students in many ways. It can enhance their resume and make them more competitive in the job market, improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and provide them with valuable connections and references for future academic or professional pursuits.

5. Can non-US undergrad students participate in research in the US?

Yes, non-US undergrad students can participate in research in the US through various programs, internships, and exchange opportunities. However, they may need to obtain the necessary visas and permissions before starting their research, and should also consider any language or cultural barriers they may encounter.