Magnetic fields and the right hand grip rule

In summary, the homework problem asks to find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point O, located 10 cm from a wire carrying a current of 1.0 A into the page. Using the right hand grip rule and the equation B(r) = µi/2πr, the magnitude of the field is calculated to be 2uT and the direction is downwards. Placing a second identical wire on the opposite side of O, the current must flow out of the page in order for the magnetic field strength at O to be non-zero.
shyguy79

Homework Statement

(i) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the point O located at a distance D = 10 cm from a wire carrying a current i = 1.0 A directed into the page, as shown in the attached drawing.

(ii) A second wire, identical to the first, is placed a distance D = 10 cm on the opposite side of O from the first wire as shown in Figure 3. This second wire carries a current with the same magnitude of i = 1.0 A. In which direction must this current flow in order for the magnetic field strength at O to be non* zero?

Homework Equations

Right hand grip rule
B(r) = μ i / 2π r

The Attempt at a Solution

For (i) I've got the magnitude of the field as 2uT from the B(r) = u i / 2π r and the direction as downwards using the right hand grip rule.

For (ii) I'm assuming that for it to be non zero then the current would have to be directed out of the page - if it was into the page then the resultant would be zero?

Attachments

• Current-in-a-field.jpg
    Current-in-a-field.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shyguy79 said:

Homework Statement

(i) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the point O located at a distance D = 10 cm from a wire carrying a current i = 1.0 A directed into the page, as shown in the attached drawing.

(ii) A second wire, identical to the first, is placed a distance D = 10 cm on the opposite side of O from the first wire as shown in Figure 3. This second wire carries a current with the same magnitude of i = 1.0 A. In which direction must this current flow in order for the magnetic field strength at O to be non* zero?

Homework Equations

Right hand grip rule
B(r) = u i / 2π r

The Attempt at a Solution

For (i) I've got the magnitude of the field as 2uT from the B(r) = u i / 2π r and the direction as downwards using the right hand grip rule.

For (ii) I'm assuming that for it to be non zero then the current would have to be directed out of the page - if it was into the page then the resultant would be zero?
attachment.php?attachmentid=43816&d=1329071935.jpg

(i) I didn't check the numbers, but that's the way to calculate the B-field at point O

For (ii), You have the correct result, but it's not so much an assumption as it is a well-reasoned conclusion.

Thank you SammyS (i) that's exactly what the question asked for and (ii) I thought so... cheers - I feel so much better now.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and the force exerted on a moving electric charge.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by the movement of electric charges. This can be in the form of an electric current flowing through a wire or the movement of electrons within atoms. The Earth also has a magnetic field created by the movement of molten iron in its core.

3. What is the right hand grip rule?

The right hand grip rule is a method used to determine the direction of a magnetic field. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, the direction in which your fingers curl represents the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How is the right hand grip rule used in physics?

The right hand grip rule is used in physics to determine the direction of a magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, a solenoid, or any other magnetic object. It is also used to determine the direction of force on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field.

5. Why is the right hand grip rule important in understanding magnetic fields?

The right hand grip rule is important because it provides a simple and easy way to determine the direction of a magnetic field, which is crucial in understanding and analyzing the behavior of magnets and charged particles in the presence of magnetic fields. It is also a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and plays a key role in many applications such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.