Physics concept that originated from an animal source?

In summary, animals such as bats, dolphins, birds, peacocks, frogs, and various insects have inspired people to use physics in inventions and different applications. Some examples include the use of sonar, photonic materials, and sound signals for navigation and communication. These natural adaptations have led to the development of technologies such as radar, sonar, and advanced optical materials.
GetNVan4Candy
I need help finding some animals whose application of physics in the nature have inspired people to use the same physics in inventions/different applications.

Some animals I've thought of are:
  • Bats (Radar)
  • Dolphins (Sonar)
  • Birds (Airplanes)
Bats (Radar)

These animals would be perfect, except there aren't many social and environmental aspects I can talk about.

I just need some random animals to help me brainstorm.
If anything jumps into your mind, please post it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I've seen a trailer for a TV programme with that (ghastly) Richard Hammond on UK TV tonight - or fairly soon. The trailer seems to be party along the same lines as your question.

The structure of bones in a bird also inspired the Eiffel tower I believe. Their bones are close to hollow.

Butterflies and beetles have inspired a lot of photonic materials.

GetNVan4Candy, one minor correction: Bats do not use radar (from Radio Detection And Ranging). They use sound to navigate and locate their prey and it is called sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging).

Here’s a recent discovery of how peacocks use infrasound: The male peacock’s feathers form a parabolic reflector that directs infrasonic thrums below 20 Hz generated by the male for long distances through thick shrubbery. Most probably this adaptation has evolved to summon more potential mates.
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/341606/title/Peacocks_ruffle_feathers,_make_a_rumble

Frogs. When a frog transmits its call while partially submerged it generates three kinds of signals: the acoustic signal in the water, the acoustic signal in the air, and the circularly spreading surface waves emitted by the vibrating throat sac. A second frog that is partially submerged in this same body of water receives these three different signals. First, the acoustic signal in water arrives, and then the airborne acoustic waves, and lastly, the surface water waves arrive. In a two-frog pond with an undisturbed water surface, a semi-submerged frog receiving the surface waves may deduce the relative bearing of the origin of the circular surface waves by comparing wave arrival times according to their azimuth angle. This process is used to acoustically locate the source of a gunshot in air, and for locating the relative bearing of a submarine target, for example. A pond with hundreds of frogs croaking creates a complex pattern with all the surface waves interacting both constructively and destructively. I have photographed this surface wave pattern at night using the reflection from the pond surface of a nearby streetlight.

Finally, you may look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridulation for many examples of sound used by nature’s creatures to eat, survive, and reproduce. Many of these animals may have stimulated the innovations in primitive musical instruments.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Andy Resnick said:
Butterflies and beetles have inspired a lot of photonic materials.

The advance online publication of Nature Photonics also has an article about interesting optical materials found in fish: T.M. Jordan et al., "Non-polarizing broadband multilayer reflectors in fish", Nature Photonics (2012) doi:10.1038/nphoton.2012.260

1. What is the physics concept of biomimicry?

The physics concept of biomimicry is the imitation of biological systems and processes for the development of new technologies and designs. This approach is based on the idea that nature has already solved many complex problems through evolution, making it a valuable source of inspiration for innovation in various fields, including engineering and materials science.

2. How did the study of bird flight contribute to the development of aerodynamics?

The study of bird flight has contributed significantly to the development of aerodynamics, particularly in the design of airplanes. By observing the shape and structure of bird wings, scientists and engineers were able to understand the principles of lift, drag, and thrust, which are crucial for the flight of any aircraft. This knowledge has led to the creation of more efficient and aerodynamic airplane designs.

3. What is the significance of studying the properties of spider webs in materials science?

Studying the properties of spider webs has been essential in materials science, particularly in the development of strong and flexible materials. Spider silk is known to be one of the strongest natural materials, and scientists have been trying to replicate its structure and properties for various applications, including bulletproof vests and artificial tendons. By understanding how spiders produce such robust webs, scientists can develop new materials with similar properties.

4. How has the study of shark skin influenced the design of swimsuits and wetsuits?

The study of shark skin has greatly influenced the design of swimsuits and wetsuits. Shark skin has a unique texture with tiny teeth-like scales that reduce drag and turbulence in water, allowing sharks to swim faster and more efficiently. This concept has been applied in the design of swimsuits and wetsuits, making them more hydrodynamic and allowing swimmers to move through the water with less resistance.

5. What is the principle behind the development of velcro based on the observation of burrs on a dog's fur?

The principle behind the development of velcro is based on the observation of burrs on a dog's fur. The tiny hooks on the burrs easily attach to the loops on the dog's fur, creating a strong and temporary bond. This concept was then applied in the invention of velcro, which uses a similar mechanism to create a strong and reversible bond between two surfaces. This innovation has been used in various industries, from fashion to aerospace, and has a wide range of applications.