Writing cotangent in terms of cosinehow?

In summary, to write cos(x) in terms of cot(x), you can use the identity cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x) and the identity sin2(x) = 1 - cos2(x). This allows you to express sin(x) in terms of cos(x) and cot(x). Then, using the identity cot2(x) = 1 - csc2(x) and solving for csc(x), you can substitute 1/csc(x) in the formula for sin(x). This will give you cos(x) in terms of cot(x).
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

How can I write cos(x) in terms of cot(x)? I tried using the pythagorean identities and fundamental identities but still cannot figure it out.
The answer must start as the following: cosine(x)=...

Homework Equations

All the trig identies. I think it wants me to use the fundamental ones but I am not sure that's possible
http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that cotangent=cos/sin but I need it to only be in terms of cosine which seems impossible to me because I've tried everything. Also, I do believe it is okay to use cot^2(x) with the pythagorean identities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which do you want to do - write cos(x) in terms of cot(x), or cot(x) in terms of cos(x)? Your title and problem statement are at odds. Assuming it's the latter,
cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x), and sin2(x) = 1 - cos2(x), hence sin(x) = +/-sqrt(1 - cos2(x)).

I want to express cosine in terms of cotangent. Cosine is y and cotangent is x, so I want to express y in terms of x
sounds confusing which is why I am having trouble with it

cos(x) = [cos(x)/sin(x)]*sin(x) = cot(x)*sin(x) = cot(x) * 1/csc(x)

Now use the identity that cot2(x) = 1 - csc2(x), solving for csc2(x) first, and then csc(x). Use that to replace 1/csc(x) in the formula above. That will give you cos(x) in terms of cot(x).

i thought 1/csc is equal to sin? and 1/sec= cos. and cosine is what I am trying to use.

maybe i am reading your post wrong...

oh and i see how you may be confused, the title of the thread is wrong. sorry

i need cosine in terms of cotangent

megr_ftw said:
i thought 1/csc is equal to sin? and 1/sec= cos. and cosine is what I am trying to use.
Yes but Mark is telling you to use an identity that involves csc(x) and cot(x). See if you can complete where he was leading you.

1. How do I write cotangent in terms of cosine?

To write cotangent in terms of cosine, you can use the identity cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x). This means that cotangent is equivalent to cosine divided by sine.

2. Can I simplify cotangent in terms of cosine?

Yes, you can simplify cotangent in terms of cosine by using the reciprocal identity sin(x)/cos(x) = 1/tan(x). This means that cotangent is equivalent to the reciprocal of tangent, which is 1 over tangent.

3. What is the difference between cotangent and cosine?

Cotangent and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but they have different definitions and graphs. Cotangent is the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side of a right triangle, while cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

4. Can I use cotangent in terms of cosine to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use cotangent in terms of cosine to solve trigonometric equations. By rewriting cotangent in terms of cosine and substituting it into the equation, you can solve for the unknown variable.

5. How can I apply writing cotangent in terms of cosine in real-life situations?

Writing cotangent in terms of cosine can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the angle of elevation or depression in navigation, engineering, and construction. It can also be used in physics equations involving right triangles and trigonometric functions.