Uniform circular motion; two balls, two cables, and a post; no gravity

In summary, in this conversation, it is discussed that in space without gravity, there is a post with infinite mass that is fixed and cannot move. Two balls of masses m1 and m2 are connected to the post by cables of negligible mass and lengths L1 and L2 respectively. The contraption is moving around the post in a perfect circle with a constant angular speed ω2. The task is to find the tension in each cable. The equations F=ma, F=mv2/r, and F=mω2r are used to calculate the tension in each cable. A free body diagram is also suggested to make the calculation easier. Eventually, the tension in the outer cable is determined first, which then allows for the calculation
emr13

Homework Statement

In space in the absence of gravity, there is a post of "infinite mass," meaning that the post is fixed or "nailed down" and cannot move. A ball of mass m1 is connected to the post by a cable of negligible mass of length L1. A second ball of mass m2 is connected to the first ball by a second cable of negligible mass of length L2. The entire contraption (except for the post) is moving around the post in a perfect circle with a constant angular speed ω2 (in radians per unit time). Find the tension in each cable.

post.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma= mv2/r = mω2r

The Attempt at a Solution

So there is a cable tension (T1) acting on the ball with mass m1 and then a cable tension (T2) acting on the ball with mass m2.

This is what I have, and I'm wondering if it is correct. There is no movement or force in the y-direction at all, so I think only the x-components matter...but if I include cosθ, then there's a denominator of zero, so I'm guess that's not supposed to be there. Are these correct then?

For cable of length L1, T=m1ω2L1

For cable of length L2, T=m2ω2(L1+L2)

Physics news on Phys.org
For inner mass Fnet = mw2L1 but there are two forces on it.

Do you mean the force from the post?

Draw a free body diagram for each ball. Then it will be easier to calculate the centripetal force for each object.

Last edited:
I don't see how a post can exert a force on a faraway mass!

I don't see how a post can exert a force on a faraway mass!

So then you must mean the force from the other cable...I'm not sure how to include that, to be honest.

Maybe for cable of length L1, T1=m1ω2L1-m2ω2(L1+L2)? And then for cable of length L2, it would still be T2=m2ω2(L1+L2)?

Draw a free body diagram for each ball. Then it will be easier to calculate the centripetal force for each object.

I honestly did that...

Yes I was.
The force on the outer mass is determined by the second law as there is just one force there. So tension in outer cable is now known. Then you can apply the second law to the inner mass- one force is known and the net force is known.

Okay. I think I've got it now; thanks.

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object travels in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object covers equal distances in equal time intervals, resulting in a uniform or constant velocity.

How does uniform circular motion differ from other types of motion?

Unlike linear motion, which occurs in a straight line, uniform circular motion occurs in a circular path. Additionally, in uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed may vary.

What role do the two balls play in this scenario?

In this scenario, the two balls are attached to two cables, which are connected to a post. The balls act as a pendulum, swinging back and forth in a circular motion due to the tension in the cables.

Why is there no gravity in this scenario?

In this scenario, the assumption is made that the objects are in a vacuum or outer space, where the effects of gravity are negligible. This allows for a simplified analysis of the motion without the influence of external forces.

How is uniform circular motion related to centripetal force?

In uniform circular motion, the object is constantly changing direction, which requires a force to keep it moving in a circular path. This force is known as the centripetal force and is directed towards the center of the circular path.