Tension in circular motion with connected masses

In summary, two blocks of masses (m1 = 2.00kg and m2 = 1.25kg) connected by ropes (L1 = 0.50m and L2 = 0.75m) are rotating in a horizontal circle supported by a frictionless table. The period of the motion is T = 15s and the tension in each rope is to be found. The tension forces act on the bodies in opposite directions and the system is connected to a fixed point by another rope. The forces and period need to be calculated separately for each body.
Greenlime770
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
A block of mass m1 = 2.00kg is attached to a rope of length L1 = 0.50m, which is fixed at one end to a table. The mass moves in a horizontal circle supported by a frictionless table. A second block of mass m2 = 1.25kg is attached to the first mass by rope of length L2 = 0.75m. The mass also moves in a circle, as shown in the image. If the period of the motion is T = 15s, find the tension in each rope. (Assume all ropes are massless).

Image of Figure here: https://imgur.com/a/c9RXR

Homework Equations

Fc = FT
Fc = 4π2mr/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that there are more forces acting on m1 than m2. Although unsure if tension can act on both sides of an object in the same direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greenlime770 said:
I assume that there are more forces acting on m1 than m2.
Yes.

Although unsure if tension can act on both sides of an object in the same direction.
No. If an object has strings attached to opposite sides of the body, the tensions cannot act in the same direction. Tension forces always "pull" on an object, so the direction of the tension force on a body is always along the string in the direction away from the body.

Make sure you carefully draw a free body diagram for each mass.

Greenlime770 said:
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
A block of mass m1 = 2.00kg is attached to a rope of length L1 = 0.50m, which is fixed at one end to a table. The mass moves in a horizontal circle supported by a frictionless table. A second block of mass m2 = 1.25kg is attached to the first mass by rope of length L2 = 0.75m. The mass also moves in a circle, as shown in the image. If the period of the motion is T = 15s, find the tension in each rope. (Assume all ropes are massless).

Image of Figure here: https://imgur.com/a/c9RXR

Homework Equations

Fc = FT
Fc = 4π2mr/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that there are more forces acting on m1 than m2. Although unsure if tension can act on both sides of an object in the same direction.

Additionally to what TSny suggests I would recommend to find the force(s) and period for each body separately.

EDIT: I mistakenly said period. I meant to write the resulting tension.

Last edited:
QuantumQuest said:
Additionally to what TSny suggests I would recommend to find the force(s) and period for each body separately.
If I were to solve for m2 and the tension of L2 do I have to take into account the mass of m1 as I would have to with L1?

Greenlime770 said:
If I were to solve for m2 and the tension of L2 do I have to take into account the mass of m1 as I would have to with L1?

Note that you have two rotating bodies connected with rope and this system connected to a fixed point by another piece of rope. How do the two bodies interact?

What is the definition of tension in circular motion with connected masses?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or any other type of connector when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. In the case of circular motion with connected masses, tension is the force that keeps the masses moving in a circular path.

How is tension related to centripetal force in circular motion with connected masses?

In circular motion with connected masses, the centripetal force is equal to the tension in the string or connector. This means that the tension is responsible for providing the necessary centripetal force to keep the masses moving in a circular path.

What factors affect the tension in circular motion with connected masses?

The tension in circular motion with connected masses is affected by the mass of the objects, the speed of the objects, and the radius of the circular path. The greater the mass or speed of the objects, or the smaller the radius, the greater the tension will be.

Is tension a conservative or non-conservative force in circular motion with connected masses?

Tension is a non-conservative force in circular motion with connected masses. This means that the work done by tension on the objects is dependent on the path taken, and not just the initial and final positions.

How do you calculate the tension in circular motion with connected masses?

The tension in circular motion with connected masses can be calculated using the equation T = (m*v^2)/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This equation is derived from the centripetal force equation, Fc = (m*v^2)/r, where Fc is the centripetal force.