Quantum Energy levels in atomic, molecular, nuclear and solid state physics

In summary, a student has been tasked with writing a 10-page essay on Quantum Energy levels in various areas of physics but their knowledge on the subject is limited. They plan to cover the particle in a box model, Schrödinger wave equation, Bohr theory, De Broglie's explanation of standing waves, and various nuclear models. They are unsure about what to write for molecular and solid state physics, but suggestions such as HOMO and LUMO gaps and s and p orbitals have been given. However, the student feels that the topic may be too broad for a 10-page essay.
MetaKnightX

Homework Statement

Greetings everyone

I have been been asked to write a 10 page essay on Quantum Energy levels in atomic, molecular, nuclear and solid state physics. My problem is that this is such a huge topic and my knowledge of quantum energy levels and solid state physics is limited.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my initial planning i decided to start by explaining the particle in the box model as a basis and used Schrödinger wave equation and related the wave equation to the energy. From there i planned on using Bohr theory and De Broglie's explaining of standing waves to derive energy equations in atomic physics. For nuclear energies i planned on writing on the various nuclear models (shell model for example) and I'm trying to work in something about the yakawa potential. I'm a bit unsure on what to write about for molecular and solid state physics. Can anyone through around some ideas for me or recommend a good book . My thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look up HOMO and LUMO gaps for molecular physics and bandgaps for solid state. Also, the s and p orbitals from atomic physics are used quite a bit in molecular physics through hybridization.

But this is a very broad subject. Probably way too much for 10 pages.

Thanks, Your Advice has been a great help

1. What are quantum energy levels?

Quantum energy levels refer to the discrete levels of energy that an atom, molecule, nucleus, or solid can have. These levels are determined by the quantum mechanical properties of the system, and can only have certain values, rather than a continuous range of values.

2. How are quantum energy levels calculated?

Quantum energy levels are calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the mass, charge, and other properties of the system, and uses mathematical methods to determine the allowed energy levels.

3. What is the significance of quantum energy levels?

The existence of discrete quantum energy levels has important implications for the behavior and properties of atoms, molecules, nuclei, and solids. It explains phenomena such as atomic and molecular spectra, chemical bonding, and the stability of matter.

4. How do quantum energy levels change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the energy levels of a system become more closely spaced. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more thermal energy and can occupy higher energy levels. This can lead to changes in the behavior and properties of the system.

5. Can quantum energy levels be observed directly?

No, quantum energy levels cannot be observed directly. However, their effects can be observed through experimental techniques such as spectroscopy, which can measure the energy transitions between different quantum levels. These observations provide evidence for the existence of quantized energy levels in various systems.