Tuning a Coil or Loop Antenna at 49 MHz

In summary: A coil that size can be an antenna if it is properly tuned. It is not necessary to add a capacitor in series. In fact, adding a capacitor may make the antenna less efficient.
dnyberg2
I'm wrestling with the notion that a small coil of wire in a planar flat spiral can be a real tuned antenna. The fact that the coil is only three turns and about the diameter of a quarter further irritates my ability to understand how such a simple thing can be viewed as a real antenna. The coil measures about 390 nH on an analyzer with about .7 ohms. On top of that, the operating frequency of the system is 49 MHz! How does one go about taking a simple coil, on FR4 and make it radiate at 49 MHz with respectable SWR's and an impedance of 50 ohms? Dont you have to add a capacitor in series with this coil inductor to make it resonate at 49 MHz? And, doesn't the value of the capacitor have to do with matching the input to 50 ohms? I'm assuming that the other end of the coil has to be grounded, so one side of the CAP is the input, which is connected to the other end of the coil... Any help in understanding this is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
True, antenna like that will not be very efficient but most likely the manufacturer has to comply with the FCC regulations for unlicensed operation (in the US) and must keep the radiated power below specified limits. Using an inefficient antenna is a way of doing that. Adding a capacitor in series may make the antenna more efficient but it also may narrow the bandwidth of the antenna unacceptably.

There is no reason the antenna must be matched to 50 ohms if that is the only output. It is a good idea to do so anyway so that the output of the last stage can be measured by standard test equipment. How would you be able to check the output with a direct connection to a spectrum analyzer or power meter without matching the output to 50 ohms.

1. How do I tune a coil or loop antenna at 49 MHz?

Tuning a coil or loop antenna at 49 MHz involves adjusting the physical dimensions of the antenna to match the frequency you want to receive. This can be done by either changing the number of turns in the coil or adjusting the length of the loop.

2. What tools do I need to tune a coil or loop antenna at 49 MHz?

You will need an antenna analyzer or an SWR meter to measure the resonance of the antenna at 49 MHz. You may also need a variable capacitor or trimmer to fine-tune the frequency.

3. How can I determine the resonance of my coil or loop antenna at 49 MHz?

The easiest way to determine the resonance of your antenna is by using an antenna analyzer or an SWR meter. These tools will show you the SWR (standing wave ratio) of your antenna, and you can adjust the antenna until you get a low SWR at 49 MHz.

4. Can I tune a coil or loop antenna at 49 MHz without any specialized equipment?

While it is possible to tune an antenna by trial and error without specialized equipment, it can be a time-consuming and challenging process. It is highly recommended to use an antenna analyzer or SWR meter for more accurate and efficient results.

5. How do I know if my coil or loop antenna is properly tuned at 49 MHz?

A properly tuned coil or loop antenna at 49 MHz will have a low SWR (ideally 1:1) and will be able to receive signals at that frequency with good clarity and minimal interference. You can also use an antenna analyzer to confirm the resonance of your antenna at 49 MHz.