Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF: Can a Rotating Loop Create a Non-Sinusoidal EMF?

In summary, the book discusses a rectangular loop of wire in a uniform magnetic field and the sinusoidal variation of the induced emf when the loop rotates. The problem at the end asks whether the sinusoidal variation depends on the loop being rectangular, the magnetic field being uniform, or both. It also asks for an arrangement that would produce a non-sinusoidal emf and for a sketch of the expected voltage-time curve. The author is unsure about the possibility of a non-sinusoidal emf with a bent loop and is stuck on finding a solution for a nonuniform field. They also question whether the problem is meant to be approached intuitively or if there is a straightforward solution.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

The book describes a rectangular loop of wire in a uniform magnetic field created by a pair of coils. It then discusses the emf that is produced when the rectangular loop rotates with constant angular velocity, noting that the induced emf varies sinusoidally with time.

At the end of the chapter, there is the following problem:

Does the prediction of a simple sinusoidal variation of electromotive force for the rotating loop depend on the loop being rectangular, on the magnetic field being uniform, or on both? Explain. Can you suggest an arrangement of rotating loop and stationary coils which will give a definitely nonsinusoidal emf? Sketch the voltage-time curve you would expect to see on the oscilloscope, with that arrangment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure intuitively that so long as the loop lies in a plane, its shape does not matter. I am not sure whether a "bent" loop could possibly create a nonsinusoidal emf, but all my attempts at coming up with one that does so have failed. They all seem to end up with some variation of a sine wave. Granted, I could only visualize a few simple ones. I wish I knew some way to convince myself more generally, though. I think maybe you can join planar loops to make a nonplanar one, since the adjoining currents cancel out. Then you can add the flux contributions from all the loops. Since they all rotate at the same frequency, just out of phase, their sum has to give you a sinusoidal function (since any planar loop produces a sinusoidal emf). Maybe. I'm really fuzzy on that, and would like some input.

As for a nonuniform field, I just don't know. I'm stuck. I don't know if this problem is supposed to be more about visualization and intuition or if there's a straightforward way to answer it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As for the second part, I'm really stumped. I don't even know how to begin to think about a non-sinusoidal emf created by a rotating loop.

1. What is Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF?

Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF, also known as non-sinusoidal electromotive force, is an alternating current that does not follow a sinusoidal waveform. This means that the current changes direction and magnitude at irregular intervals, as opposed to a smooth and consistent pattern.

2. How is Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF different from Sinusoidal Induced EMF?

The main difference between the two is the shape of the waveform. Sinusoidal Induced EMF follows a smooth and consistent sinusoidal pattern, while Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF has a more irregular waveform.

3. What causes Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF?

Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF is caused by non-linear loads, which are devices that do not have a linear relationship between the current and voltage. These loads can include electronic devices, fluorescent lights, and power supplies.

4. What are the effects of Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF?

Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF can cause a number of negative effects, including increased power losses, decreased efficiency, and interference with other electronic devices. It can also lead to overheating and damage to equipment.

5. How can Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF, including using power factor correction, using filters to remove harmonics, and implementing better design practices for electronic devices. Additionally, using high-quality power supplies and reducing the number of non-linear loads can also help to reduce Nonsinusoidal Induced EMF.