Convergence of a Recursive Sequence

In summary, the sequence generated by the recursion formula for Newton's Method with x0= 1 converges to a value of approximately 0.7853981634. This may seem to contradict the intended use of Newton's Method, which seeks to find the roots of a function, but it is actually the function that must converge to zero, not the x-values. Further computations and a proof may be necessary to fully understand the convergence of this sequence.
zachfoltz

Homework Statement

The following sequence comes from the recursion formula for Newton's Method.
x0= 1 , xn+1=xn-(tanxn-1)/sec2xn
Show if the sequence converges or diverge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start on this problem, I have tried to use some trig identities to no avail, but I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question?

oh sorry your supposed to show if it converges or not.

If the x_n converges to a limit L what happens to x_n+1 if n->inf?

I'm not sure, does it also approach L?

zachfoltz said:

Homework Statement

The following sequence comes from the recursion formula for Newton's Method.
x0= 1 , xn+1=xn-(tanxn-1)/sec2xn

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start on this problem, I have tried to use some trig identities to no avail, but I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

What is stopping you from computing a few of the initial x_n values, say for n = 1, 2, 3,... ? This might offer some insight.

One possible problem I can see is that your initial definition
[tex] f(x) = x - \frac{\tan(x)-1}{\sec^2(x)}[/tex]
is meaningless at ##x = \pi/2, 3\pi/2, \ldots## where both the numerator and the denominator are infinite, but the algebraically equivalent form
[tex] f_1(x) = x - \sin(x) \cos(x) + \cos^2(x) [/tex]
has no problems at any values of x. In other words, while your original f(x) is not defined at some x-values, we have ##f(x) = f_1(x)## at ##x \neq \pi/2, 3\pi/2, \ldots## and
[tex] \lim_{x \to p} f(x) = \lim_{x \to p} f_1(x) = f_1(p)[/tex]
holds for ##p = \pi/2, 3\pi/2, \ldots ##. In other words, f(x) has "removable" discontinuities, and can thus be replace by f_1(x) in the optimization algorithm. Is that the source of your problems?

Last edited:
Also, how could I prove that x_n converges to a limit L? Thanks for responding, I really want to get this problem, I just can't seem to get it on my own.

Ray Vickson said:
What are you attempting to do? What is stopping you from computing a few of the initial x_n values, say for n = 1, 2, 3,... .

One possible problem I can see is that your initial definition
[tex] f(x) = x - \frac{\tan(x)-1}{\sec^2(x)}[/tex]
is meaningless at ##x = \pi/2, 3\pi/2, \ldots## where both the numerator and the denominator are infinite, but the algebraically equivalent form
[tex] f_1(x) = x - \sin(x) \cos(x) + \cos^2(x) [/tex]
has no problems at any values of x. In other words, while your original f(x) is not defined at some x-values, we have ##f(x) = f_1(x)## at ##x \neq \pi/2, 3\pi/2, \ldots## and
[tex] \lim_{x \to p} f(x) = \lim_{x \to p} f_1(x) = f_1(p)[/tex]
holds for ##p = \pi/2, 3\pi/2, \ldots ##. In other words, f(x) has "removable" discontinuities, and can thus be replace by f_1(x) in the optimization algorithm. Is that the source of your problems?

I need to find what it converges to, so I believe that entails taking the lim as x -> ∞ but the lim of any trig function as it goes to infinity is undefined. Is that what I'm supposed to do?

zachfoltz said:
I need to find what it converges to, so I believe that entails taking the lim as x -> ∞ but the lim of any trig function as it goes to infinity is undefined. Is that what I'm supposed to do?

No, that is not what you were asked about. You were asked to look at the sequence ##x_0 = 1, \: x_{n+1} = f(x_n)## for a given function f(x). You were asked if the sequence ##x_0, x_1, x_2, \ldots## is convergent.

Ray Vickson said:
No, that is not what you were asked about. You were asked to look at the sequence ##x_0 = 1, \: x_{n+1} = f(x_n)## for a given function f(x). You were asked if the sequence ##x_0, x_1, x_2, \ldots## is convergent.

So when I try to evaluate x1 I get x1=x0+1=x0-sin(x0)cos(x0)+cos2(x0)=(1)-sin(1)cos(1)+cos2(1). How can you evaluate this?

zachfoltz said:
So when I try to evaluate x1 I get x1=x0+1=x0-sin(x0)cos(x0)+cos2(x0)=(1)-sin(1)cos(1)+cos2(1). How can you evaluate this?

Use a calculator, or a computer package. You can even use an on-line facility such as Wolfram Alpha.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Use a calculator, or a computer package. You can even use an on-line facility such as Wolfram Alpha.

Ok, I used a calculator to continue to find the next number in the sequence about 4 or 5 inputs and I start to get .7853981634... every time. This should then be the number the sequence converges to, the only problem is that the initial equation was of the form of Newton's method, which is used to find x intercepts (roots/zeros). Therefore this sequence HAS to converge to zero, but I should be able to prove this.

Sorry, that is the answer, much thanks for the help!

zachfoltz said:
Ok, I used a calculator to continue to find the next number in the sequence about 4 or 5 inputs and I start to get .7853981634... every time. This should then be the number the sequence converges to, the only problem is that the initial equation was of the form of Newton's method, which is used to find x intercepts (roots/zeros). Therefore this sequence HAS to converge to zero, but I should be able to prove this.

NO, that is not the case. Newton's method seeks a solution of an equation g(x) = 0; it is g that needs to go to zero, NOT x! For example, if you want to compute √2 you can use Newton's method on the function g(x) = x^2 - 2. You will find that the x_n converge to 1.414213562... , and that g(x_n) → 0, and this is exactly what you need.

As for your problem, I just suggested you do computations in order to get a "feel" for what is happening. Whether or not that is an acceptable solution to your problem is something your instructor will decide. Perhaps he/she wants an actual proof of convergence, in which case the numbers themselves would not be enough.

Likes 1 person

What is a recursive sequence?

A recursive sequence is a sequence in which each term is defined by using the previous terms in the sequence. This means that the value of a term depends on the values of previous terms.

How do you determine if a recursive sequence converges?

To determine if a recursive sequence converges, you can use the iterative method, which involves repeatedly calculating the next term in the sequence until it reaches a constant value. If the value of the next term is approaching a single value, then the sequence is said to converge.

What is the difference between convergence and divergence?

Convergence refers to a recursive sequence approaching a single value, while divergence refers to a sequence that does not approach a single value and instead becomes larger or smaller without bound.

How do you find the limit of a convergent recursive sequence?

To find the limit of a convergent recursive sequence, you can use the explicit formula, which is a formula that directly calculates the value of a term in the sequence without having to go through each previous term. This formula is often used to find the limit or end behavior of a sequence.

What are some real-world applications of recursive sequences?

Recursive sequences have many real-world applications, such as in finance, computer science, and physics. For example, they can be used to model the growth of populations, the value of investments over time, and the movement of particles in a physical system.