An Identity in SUSY sigma model

In summary, the given equation is satisfied by using the Bianchi Identity for the Riemann-Christoffel curvature tensor.
Claret
I am struggleing in an identity, i.e. [tex]\nabla_m R_{ikjl}(\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m)(\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j)(\overline{\psi^k}\psi^l)=0[/tex] ,

where [tex]i,j,k,l,m[/tex] are dummy indices, [tex]\nabla_m[/tex] is covariant derivative, [tex]R_{ikjl}[/tex] is Riemann-Christoffel curvature tensor, and it is known that, for any two arbitary spinors [tex]\psi^i,\psi^j[/tex], [tex]\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j=\overline{\psi^j}\psi^i[/tex].

I think one could use Bianchi Identity to prove this, but I failed...who can do me a favor? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bianchi identity for the Riemann-Christoffel curvature tensor is as follows: \nabla_{[m}R_{ikjl]} = 0.Using this identity, we can rewrite the given equation as: \nabla_m R_{ikjl}(\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m)(\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j)(\overline{\psi^k}\psi^l) = 0.Since the brackets are zero, the two terms inside the brackets must be zero, so we have:\nabla_m R_{ikjl} = 0 \quad and \quad (\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m)(\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j)(\overline{\psi^k}\psi^l) = 0.Thus, the identity holds.

It seems like you are struggling with an identity in the context of the SUSY sigma model. This can be a challenging topic, but don't worry, there are some useful tools you can use to help you understand and solve this problem.

Firstly, let's break down the different elements in this identity. The Riemann-Christoffel curvature tensor, denoted by R_{ikjl}, is a fundamental object in differential geometry that describes the curvature of a space. The covariant derivative, \nabla_m, is a way of measuring the change of a vector or tensor as one moves along a curve in a curved space. And the spinors, \psi^i and \psi^j, are mathematical objects used in the description of supersymmetry.

Now, the identity you are struggling with involves the covariant derivative acting on the product of the Riemann tensor and two spinors. This may seem daunting, but as you mentioned, the Bianchi Identity can be a helpful tool in solving this problem.

The Bianchi Identity is a mathematical relation that connects the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor with the Riemann tensor itself. It states that \nabla_m R_{ikjl} + \nabla_i R_{jklm} + \nabla_j R_{klim} = 0. This is a powerful identity that can be used to simplify and prove various equations involving the Riemann tensor.

Now, let's see how we can use the Bianchi Identity to prove the identity you are struggling with. First, let's expand the covariant derivative of the product of the Riemann tensor and two spinors:

\nabla_m R_{ikjl}(\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m)(\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j)(\overline{\psi^k}\psi^l) = (\nabla_m R_{ikjl}) (\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m)(\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j)(\overline{\psi^k}\psi^l) + R_{ikjl} (\nabla_m (\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m)) (\overline{\psi^i}\psi^j)(\overline{\psi^k}\psi^l) + R_{ikjl} (\overline{\epsilon}\psi^m) (\nabla_m (\

1. What is a SUSY sigma model?

A SUSY sigma model is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to study supersymmetric field theories, which are theories that incorporate both bosonic and fermionic particles. The model involves a complex scalar field and a Majorana spinor field, and is often used to study supersymmetry breaking.

2. What is the significance of an identity in SUSY sigma model?

An identity in SUSY sigma model refers to a mathematical relationship between the fields and parameters in the model that remains true regardless of specific values. These identities are crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of the model, and can lead to important insights into the underlying physics.

3. How is an identity in SUSY sigma model derived?

An identity in SUSY sigma model is typically derived through mathematical calculations and manipulations of the equations of motion and symmetries of the model. This involves using techniques from differential geometry, group theory, and other mathematical tools.

4. What are some applications of identities in SUSY sigma model?

Identities in SUSY sigma model have many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of supersymmetric theories and their properties. They can also be used in the development of new models and theories, and in making predictions for experimental results.

5. Are identities in SUSY sigma model experimentally testable?

While identities in SUSY sigma model play an important role in theoretical physics, they are not directly experimentally testable. However, they can provide valuable insights and predictions for experimental results that can be tested through high energy particle colliders and other experiments.