Group and Phase velocity of wave packet

In summary, the phase velocity is positive but the group velocity can be negative if the phase velocity is positive.
Quelsita
OK, I think I understand the problem, I'm just a little confused on some pieces in the middle.

Problem:
Consider a wave packet formed by the superposition of two waves
psi1=cos(1.00x-2.00t) <--1.00=k, 2.00=w
psi2=cos(1.01x-2.03t) <--1.01=k, 2.03=w
where x and t are measured in meters and seconds respectively. What is the Phase velocity?
What is the group velocity?

We know:
Vp= w/k
Vg=dw/dk

-To find the Vp, can we simply say that Vp=2.00/1.00=2.00m/s?

Now, to find the Group Velocity, we can use the suerposition principle and find the net wave by the sum of the two individual waves (psi1 + psi2) which gives us

psi=2cos(1.00*1.01)x*cos(-2.00*-2.03)t = 2cos(1.01)x*cos(4.06)t

thus Vg=dw/dk= -(2/1.01)sin(1.01)x*cos(4.06)t - (2/4.06)doc(1.01)x*sin(.06)t?

Is this correct? Is the partial derivative correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quelsita said:
-To find the Vp, can we simply say that Vp=2.00/1.00=2.00m/s?

Good enough. For the 2nd wave it's slightly different, but 2.00 m/s is fine.

Now, to find the Group Velocity, we can use the suerposition principle and find the net wave by the sum of the two individual waves (psi1 + psi2) which gives us

psi=2cos(1.00*1.01)x*cos(-2.00*-2.03)t = 2cos(1.01)x*cos(4.06)t

thus Vg=dw/dk= -(2/1.01)sin(1.01)x*cos(4.06)t - (2/4.06)doc(1.01)x*sin(.06)t?

It doesn't make sense for Vg to be a function of x and t.

There's a simpler approach to find Vg. You have w and k at two points. What's a good approximation for the slope of the w-k curve near those two points?

Hmm...I'm not sure why I put that but I think I meant to say cos(1.01)x.

I see what you mean by a slope being much easier, but I'm not sure how to apporximate the curve. Our text only shows that the Vg=delta(w)/delta(k) which can be approximated by differentials.

-OK, w and k are at two points, one in the first wave and nother in the second. So can you say that the slope is just (-2.03--2.00)/(1.01-1.00)= -3?

-Can group velocity be negative if the phase velocity is positive?

That's the right idea, but use the values of w you had in post #1: +2.03 and +2.00.

Ah, I see. Thank you for your help!

1. What is the difference between group velocity and phase velocity?

The group velocity of a wave packet is the speed at which the envelope of the wave packet travels, while the phase velocity is the speed at which the individual peaks or troughs of the wave move. In other words, the group velocity describes the overall motion of the wave packet, while the phase velocity describes the speed of the individual waves within the packet.

2. How do you calculate the group velocity of a wave packet?

The group velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of the wave packet's dispersion relation with respect to its wavenumber. In other words, it is the rate of change of the wave's frequency with respect to its wavenumber.

3. What factors affect the group velocity of a wave packet?

The group velocity of a wave packet is affected by the medium through which it travels, as well as the frequency and wavenumber of the wave. In general, the group velocity is lower in denser mediums and for higher frequencies and wavenumbers.

4. Can the group velocity of a wave packet exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the group velocity of a wave packet cannot exceed the speed of light. However, the individual waves within the packet may have a phase velocity that is faster than the speed of light, but the overall motion of the packet will still be limited by the speed of light.

5. Why is the concept of group and phase velocity important in wave physics?

The concept of group and phase velocity is important in understanding the behavior of waves, particularly in the areas of optics and quantum mechanics. It helps to explain phenomena such as dispersion and the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as communication and signal processing.