Hamiltonian mechanics: ∂H/∂t = ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations of mechanics. The equation ##\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{t}} = - \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{t}}## is derived and it is argued that it does not necessarily require the generalized coordinates to be independent of time. The meaning of q and p in this context is also discussed, with q representing the coordinates of particles and p representing their generalized momentum. The (q,p) vector is said to define the state of the system.
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivation that you referenced does not in fact require that the gen. coord's be independent of time.

But ##H = \sum_i (p_i \dot{q_i}) - L##, so when you take the time-partial derivative ,##\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{t}} = - \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{t}}## can only be true if the ##(p_i \dot{q_i})##s are not functions of time. So at least the product of them must be time-independent.

Yes, the equation $$ {\partial H \over \partial t} = - {\partial L \over \partial t} $$ implies that $${\partial \sum p_i \dot q_i \over \partial t } = 0. $$ But the latter does not necessarily require that ##q_i## be independent of ##t##, if that is what you find problematic (it is unclear to me what your real difficulty is here).

I'm sorry, I am really confused about all of this at the moment.

What I mean to ask, is why $${\partial \sum p_i \dot q_i \over \partial t } = 0. $$ is true? My statistical physics book (which sucks) just took it for granted.

and could you please tell me what exactly the q's and p's represent? Are they some kind of states representing particles? So particle i is represented by the vector ##(q_i,p_i)## ?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
I'm sorry, I am really confused about all of this at the moment.

What I mean to ask, is why $${\partial \sum p_i \dot q_i \over \partial t } = 0. $$ is true?

Let's take the starting equation you linked earlier: $$ \mathrm d H = \sum \left[ \left(\partial H \over \partial q_i \right) \mathrm d q_i + \left(\partial H \over \partial p_i \right) \mathrm d p_i \right]+ \left(\partial H \over \partial t \right) \mathrm d t .$$ This is the total differential of function ##H(q, p, t)## and this equation holds true regardless of what ##q## and ##p## are; in particular, they may also have dependence on ##t##. What happens then is re-derivation of this total differential by taking the definition of ##H## and using Leibniz's rule and the chain rule: $$ \mathrm d H = \sum \left[ \dot q_i \mathrm d p_i + p_i \mathrm d \dot q_i - \left(\partial L \over \partial q_i \right) \mathrm d q_i - \left(\partial L \over \partial \dot q_i \right) \mathrm d \dot q_i \right] - \left(\partial L \over \partial t \right) \mathrm d t .$$ This is again a total differential and is valid no matter what ##q ## and ##\dot q## we have. Then we note that by definition of ##p##, the second and fourth term in the square brackets cancel each other, leaving $$ \mathrm d H = \sum \left[ \dot q_i \mathrm d p_i - \left(\partial L \over \partial q_i \right) \mathrm d q_i \right] - \left(\partial L \over \partial t \right) \mathrm d t .$$ Now we compare eq. 1 and eq. 3 and obtain immediately $$ \left(\partial H \over \partial t \right) \mathrm d t = - \left(\partial L \over \partial t \right) \mathrm d t. $$

and could you please tell me what exactly the q's and p's represent? Are they some kind of starting coordinates describing the system at time=0?

Hmm. You are reading about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations and yet do not understand what ##q## and ##p## are?

Likes 1 person
Thank you. Yes it's embarrassing, though I am just trying to get a superficial overview over for now.

But,, are the ##q_i##'s the coordinates for the particles in the system, and ##p_i##'s their "generalized momentum" (can't say I full understand that term..)? So the ##(q,p)## vector, which contains all the ##q_i##'s and ##p_i##'s defines the state of the system, right?

1. What is Hamiltonian mechanics and what does the equation ∂H/∂t = 0 represent?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a theoretical framework used to describe the motion of particles and systems in classical mechanics. The equation ∂H/∂t = 0 represents the principle of conservation of energy, where the total energy of a system remains constant over time.

2. How is Hamiltonian mechanics different from other forms of mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics differs from other forms of mechanics, such as Lagrangian mechanics, in its use of the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a system. It also uses a different set of equations, known as Hamilton's equations, to describe the motion of particles and systems.

3. What is the role of the Hamiltonian function in Hamiltonian mechanics?

The Hamiltonian function, denoted as H, plays a central role in Hamiltonian mechanics as it represents the total energy of a system. It is a mathematical function that takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of all particles in the system.

4. Can the Hamiltonian function change over time and if so, what does it represent?

Yes, the Hamiltonian function can change over time, as indicated by the ∂H/∂t term in the equation ∂H/∂t = 0. This represents any external forces or changes in the system that may affect the total energy of the system.

5. How does Hamiltonian mechanics relate to quantum mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a classical theory, meaning it is used to describe the motion of macroscopic objects. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. However, there are some similarities between the two, such as the use of the Hamiltonian operator in quantum mechanics to describe the energy of a system.