Unlocking the Mozart Effect: Enhancing Intelligence and Creativity through Music

• Medical
  • Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
In summary, this individual is a physicist and seems to be interested in the Mozart effect. They state that the Mozart effect is not exclusive to Mozart, and that it occurs through the effects of music on mood and arousal. They recommend that, if the Mozart effect is to be pursued, it should be done through engaging in other activities as well.
eljose
I would be interested in knowing if "Mozart Effect" is true and can improve your inteligence,intuition and creativity, i have just downloaded the composition of his called "Sonata for 2 pianos" in .mp3 my question is what other songs or compositions made by MOzart can be interesting to improve your "Mozart Effect"..thank you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I,m a Physicist so for us the intuition and creativity is very important so i would like a way to improve it... also i heard that according to Einstein,s Biographers he listened Mozart when investigating his theories also i would like to know if playing an instrument like violin or other can be useful to develop your I.Q

Biology news on Phys.org
What I would like to know is the site where you downloaded the file and the performers of that composition. :biggrin:

I would be interested in knowing if "Mozart Effect" is true and can improve your inteligence,intuition and creativity
I think it was a false myth.

intuition ...do you know what intuition is...it comes from hard work not..listening to a composer ..not matter how good he was...i can't say that your wrong ,,but can say i definitely don't get it...maybe in real life i guess...but I am talking about in physics ..hard work is the key..how else..
. i think that because a lot of physics concepts aren't from using ur eyes but from experiment and knowing...

correct me if u think I am wrong please

and creativity comes ffrom practise as well i don't think no super quick method like listening to music..might make you smarter but u want creatuivity...i don't know much about brain science...but well an creative person like you would be quite open minded so ..maybe you won't dismiss what I am saying immediately..

tell me what u think..
thanks
micheal

Last edited:
While it doesn't seem conclusive that listening to classical music will increase your creativity, it might have several positive effects. Listening to different musical patterns, chords, rhythms, all engage the mind in different ways. And certainly playing musical instruments will have this same effect, but possibly stronger.

Thanks to all of you for your responses...perhaps it,s a Hoax or the typical myth explain a person,s genious (Einstein for example) i have tried "sonata for 2 pianos" or something similar..my experiences are that i don,t feel more "intuitive" to say in any way...perhaps i like a physicist am seeking a "fast-way" to increase my creativity and intuition instead of trying to work harder

P.D:if somebody is interested i can e-mail him/her the "Sonata for 2 pianos" to listen at his/her computer just e-mail me to josegarc2002@yahoo.es

Cognitive Daily had a string of posts summarizing research on the Mozart effect. Here are the links:

http://cognitivedaily.com/?p=93
http://cognitivedaily.com/?p=96
http://cognitivedaily.com/?p=97

I recommend reading the links as they are concise and accessible, but here's a brief summary. There does seem to be some beneficial cognitive effect on spatial reasoning that ensues from listening to Mozart, but it is not exclusive to Mozart: this effect also holds for classical music by other composers, and indeed other styles of music altogether. Further, the means by which this effect occurs seems to be the effects of music on mood and arousal, rather than cognitive processing of musical structure. Music at higher tempos promote arousal, and music in major keys promote positive mood, and in turn higher degrees of arousal and positive mood benefit cognitive performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I AGREE THAT IT MAY WORK... but creativity and intuition i think hav to be gained by doing things ..not sitting around in an armchair...how do u know ur not fooling urself...do both ..do stuff and do mottzart

michealsmith said:
how do u know ur not fooling urself
[

Well, as Saint James said to Saint Paul, "You show me your fine thoughts, and I'll show you my works". Or words to that effect.

michealsmith said:
I AGREE THAT IT MAY WORK... but creativity and intuition i think hav to be gained by doing things ..not sitting around in an armchair...how do u know ur not fooling urself...do both ..do stuff and do mottzart
Wikipedia
Typing students. Many instances of vandalism show the telltale sign of typing students abusing Wikipedia to practice their home-row keyboard technique. Although editing wiki pages is an educational pursuit, we are not here to provide a blank white page for prospective stenographers. Typical examples:
"asdfasdfjkl;asdfasdfjkl;jkl;"
"aaaaaasssssddddddblack"
This type of vandalism should be undone immediately, or Wikipedia will run out of these letters.
How long have you been proficient in English? Are you a typing student?

Isn't it likely that this works across all mediums to differing degrees? I know that I am much more inspired to write and to produce artwork when I have been reading books or perusing art.

I don't think his genius will "rub off" on you

I would assume it'd have the opposite effect, hearing repeated patterns would seem to dull the brain

Aside from emotional and mood stimulation, I don't agree with the direct effect on intelligence. I believe the original Mozart study was a flawed experiment, or the results were misinterpreted.

From what I can recall in reading "The Blank Slate," Steven Pinker says the study was done on a small number of adults. While it was statistically shown that the test group did slightly better than the control group during testing, the results were inconclusive. Yet, suddenly the state of Georgia made Mozart for Mothers CDs free for all mothers and expecting mothers.

My opinion? There hasn't been enough testing to show conclusive results. I also find it strange that a test on a small group of adults could suddenly be interpreted as being correlated with unborn babies.

1. What is the Mozart Effect?

The Mozart Effect refers to the theory that listening to classical music, particularly works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, can temporarily improve cognitive abilities such as intelligence and creativity.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support the Mozart Effect?

While initial studies in the 1990s showed a potential link between listening to Mozart and improved spatial-temporal reasoning, subsequent research has not been able to replicate these results consistently. Therefore, the scientific community remains divided on the validity of the Mozart Effect.

3. Can listening to Mozart's music make you smarter?

There is no conclusive evidence that listening to Mozart's music can permanently increase intelligence. However, some studies have shown that exposure to classical music may have short-term benefits on certain cognitive tasks.

4. Can the Mozart Effect be applied to all types of music?

The original studies on the Mozart Effect focused specifically on classical music, particularly Mozart's compositions. It is unclear whether the same effects can be achieved by listening to other genres of music.

5. Are there any potential downsides to the Mozart Effect?

There are no known negative effects of listening to classical music, but it is important to note that the Mozart Effect is not a proven scientific concept. It is also important to keep in mind that music, regardless of genre, can affect individuals differently and may not have the same impact on everyone.