Calculating Metric/Metric Tensor for Curved Spaces

• Thread starter marcusesses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and calculation of the metric tensor in different types of spaces. The metric tensor is defined as a scalar product of two vectors and can differ from the distance function, which induces a topology. The calculation of the metric tensor components, g_{\alpha\beta}, depends on the assumptions made about the space, whether it is curved or not. Without this information, it is not possible to define the metric tensor for a given space.
marcusesses
I'm having some troubles with a very basic definition of the metric tensor.
The metric is defined as

[tex]ds^2 =[f(x + dx, y+dy) - f(x,y)]^2 [/tex]

However, I can't see how this is equal to

[tex]\frac{\partial r} {\partial x} \frac{\partial r} {\partial x}dx^2 + 2 \frac{\partial r} {\partial x} \frac{\partial r} {\partial y}dxdy + \frac{\partial r} {\partial y} \frac{\partial r} {\partial y} dy^2[/tex]

I can see it in the linear case, like when
[tex]r = x+y[/tex]
since
[tex]ds^2 = dx^2 + 2 dxdy + dy^2[/tex]
for example. But what if there is a non-linear relation, like
[tex]f(x,y) = x^2 - y[/tex]
it will produce terms like [tex]dx^4[/tex] ...(I think, anyway).

Basically, what I'm asking is how do you calculate the metric tensor components
[tex] g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]?
Are they just found by making assumptions in the curved space you are in?How do you calculate the metric tensor from the metric?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
marcusesses said:
I'm having some troubles with a very basic definition of the metric tensor.
The metric is defined as

[tex]ds^2 =[f(x + dx, y+dy) - f(x,y)]^2 [/tex]
There is no such thing as the metric tensor. There are many metric tensors. I know of only two myself that I find in common use in geometry and physics and that is the Euclidean metric and the metric of spacetime (does this metric tensor have a name??). The metric is different from the distance function. The distance function induces a topology whereas the metric defines the scalar product of two vectors. They need not be the same and in those two I mentioned above are not. Distance let's one define neighborhoods and neighborhoods allow one open and closed sets which allows one to define the topology of the space.

The quantity you have above doesn't look like anything I recognize. What you have ican be viewed as the equation of a surface, i.e. z = f(x,y). The ds is then the difference in height (delta z) of neighboring points. It does not represent the Euclidean distance between two points as I would recognize it. Can you tell us what this f(x,y) is an how its supposed to fit into the definition of a metric?

Basically, what I'm asking is how do you calculate the metric tensor components
[tex] g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]?
Are they just found by making assumptions in the curved space you are in?
The space need not be curved to define a metric tensor on it. You can't simply say "Here is Rn. What is the metric for this space?". CAn't be done since there is a lack of information here. Someone has to give you the metric or tell you how the metric tensor maps basis vectors to scalars.

Best wishes

Pete

Last edited:

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that encodes the information about the geometry of a curved space. It is defined as the matrix of coefficients g_{\alpha\beta} in the expression for the squared infinitesimal distance, ds^2 = g_{\alpha\beta}dx^\alpha dx^\beta. In other words, the metric tensor is a way of representing the relationship between infinitesimal changes in coordinates (dx^\alpha) and the corresponding changes in distance (ds) in a curved space.

To calculate the metric tensor components, g_{\alpha\beta}, you need to first have a metric, g, which describes the geometry of your curved space. This metric can be defined in terms of a coordinate system and a set of basis vectors. For example, in spherical coordinates, the metric is given by:

ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2d\theta^2 + r^2\sin^2\theta d\phi^2

Here, r, \theta, and \phi are the coordinates, and the basis vectors are (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1). From this metric, you can calculate the metric tensor components by using the formula:

g_{\alpha\beta} = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^\alpha}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^\beta}g_{ij}

Where x^i and x^j are the basis vectors, and g_{ij} are the components of the metric. This formula can be generalized to any coordinate system and metric.

In the case of a non-linear relation, such as f(x,y) = x^2 - y, the metric will still have the same form as above, but the components g_{ij} will be different. These components can be calculated by taking derivatives of the metric with respect to the coordinates.

To summarize, the metric tensor is a way of representing the geometry of a curved space, and its components can be calculated from the metric of that space. The metric tensor is not assumed, but rather derived from the underlying geometry of the space.

1. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of a space. It is used to measure distances and angles in a space, and it determines the curvature of the space.

2. What is the significance of calculating the metric tensor for curved spaces?

Calculating the metric tensor allows us to understand the geometry of a curved space, which is important in many areas of physics and mathematics. It helps us to describe and predict the behavior of objects in curved spaces, such as planets orbiting a star or light bending around a massive object.

3. How is the metric tensor calculated for curved spaces?

The metric tensor is calculated using the mathematical concept of differential geometry. It involves determining the components of the tensor, which depend on the coordinates of the space and the curvature of the space. This calculation can be quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

4. What is the relationship between the metric tensor and the curvature of a space?

The metric tensor is directly related to the curvature of a space. The components of the tensor are used to calculate the curvature of the space at each point, and the overall shape of the tensor determines the overall curvature of the space. In flat spaces, the metric tensor is constant and equal to the identity matrix, while in curved spaces, the tensor varies from point to point.

5. How is the metric tensor used in general relativity?

The metric tensor is a fundamental concept in general relativity, which is the theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. In this theory, the curvature of space is related to the distribution of matter and energy, and the metric tensor is used to describe this curvature. It allows us to understand how objects move in the presence of gravitational fields and how gravity affects the shape of space itself.