Estimating p-value for Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test to estimate the p-value range. The rejection region is determined to be W <= 41 based on a calculated W value of 62 and an alpha value of 0.05. However, there is confusion about how to properly estimate the p-value using the W-alpha table and how it may differ from the test itself.
Ford
I'm trying to estimate the p-value range for a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test using a "www.dekasinthevents.org/images/wtable.jpg"[/URL]. For example:

Ho: M1 = M2
Ha: M1 < M2
alpha = 0.05
n = 17

I calculated W = 62 and the rejection region W <= 41. So I would reject Ho.

But I'm also required to know how to come to a conclusion using the estimated p-value that's supposed to come from the [PLAIN]"www.dekasinthevents.org/images/wtable.jpg"[/URL]. In a t-test using a t-table I would look at the t-table at the row with the right degrees of freedom and see where my test statistic would fall in. When I try to do this with a Wilcoxon test and a W-alpha table it gives me conclusion that contradicts the one I get from the test itself.

Any ideas on how to estimate the p-value properly from the W-alpha table? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know that the rejection region is W <= 41? "41" is nowhere on the table on row "n=17".

Last edited:

Estimating the p-value for a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test using a W-alpha table is a bit different from using a t-table for a t-test. The W-alpha table gives you the critical values for W, which is the sum of the ranks of the smaller group. In this case, your calculated W is 62, which falls in the rejection region of W <= 41. This means that your W value is larger than the critical value of 41, so you would reject the null hypothesis.

To estimate the p-value from the W-alpha table, you would need to find the probability associated with your calculated W value. In your case, the p-value would be the probability of getting a W value of 62 or larger, given that the null hypothesis is true. This can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of the distribution of W values, starting from your calculated W value and going towards the larger end of the distribution. This area would represent the probability of getting a W value of 62 or larger, and this is your estimated p-value.

In order to find this probability from the W-alpha table, you would need to look at the row that corresponds to your sample size (n=17) and find the column that has a critical value closest to your calculated W value (in this case, it would be 61). The value in this cell would represent the probability of getting a W value of 61 or smaller. To get the probability of getting a W value of 62 or larger, you would need to subtract this value from 1. This would give you an estimated p-value of 0.055, which is larger than your alpha level of 0.05.

It is important to note that the estimated p-value from the W-alpha table is just an approximation and may not be completely accurate. It is always best to use the actual statistical software or calculator to calculate the p-value for more precise results. However, the estimated p-value from the W-alpha table can still give you a good idea of the significance of your results. In this case, although the estimated p-value is larger than the alpha level, it is still quite close and indicates that your results may be marginally significant.

1. What is a p-value?

A p-value is a statistical measure that tells us the probability of obtaining a test statistic at least as extreme as the one observed, assuming the null hypothesis is true. In other words, it measures the strength of evidence against the null hypothesis. A low p-value indicates strong evidence against the null hypothesis, while a high p-value suggests weak evidence.

2. How is the p-value calculated for a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test?

The p-value for a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test is calculated by comparing the observed test statistic (W) to a critical value from a standardized distribution. The critical value is determined based on the sample size and significance level chosen for the test. If the observed test statistic is greater than or equal to the critical value, the p-value is calculated by subtracting the critical value from 1. If the observed test statistic is less than the critical value, the p-value is calculated by dividing the observed test statistic by the total number of possible test statistics.

3. What is the significance level for a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test?

The significance level, also known as the alpha level, is the threshold used to determine whether the p-value is considered statistically significant. In most cases, a significance level of 0.05 (or 5%) is used, meaning that there is a 5% chance of obtaining a test statistic as extreme or more extreme than the observed one, assuming the null hypothesis is true. However, the significance level can be adjusted depending on the specific research question and study design.

4. Can the p-value be used to determine the effect size of a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test?

No, the p-value cannot be used to determine the effect size of a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test. The p-value only tells us about the statistical significance of the results, not the magnitude of the effect. To determine the effect size, other measures such as the median difference or the Wilcoxon effect size can be used.

5. What are some limitations of using p-values in statistical analysis?

While p-values are commonly used in statistical analysis, they have some limitations. One limitation is that they do not provide information about the direction or magnitude of the effect. Additionally, p-values are influenced by sample size, meaning that a larger sample size will result in a smaller p-value even if the effect size is small. It is also important to note that a p-value below the significance level does not necessarily mean that the null hypothesis is false, but rather that the observed results are unlikely to occur by chance. Therefore, p-values should be interpreted cautiously and in conjunction with other measures of effect size and confidence intervals.