Distinguish between sign test and Wilcoxon signed rank test

But when you put the pairs in increasing order, it becomes less clear and less significant that the second set ranks higher.In summary, the sign test and Wilcoxon signed rank test are both used to test 2 group samples for non-normally distributed populations. The difference between them is that the sign test only requires knowing which of the paired tests are larger, while the signed rank test requires putting all the results in increasing order. The signed rank test has more information to work with, but if you cannot put the results in order, the sign test can still be used. However, there is a trade-off as putting the results in ranks gives up the pairing information. In some cases, one test may be stronger than the other
tzx9633

Homework Statement

I know that for both method are used to test the 2 group sample for a non-normally distributed population ... But , i am not sure the difference between them . Can someone explain the difference between them ? When to use sign test and wilcoxon signed rank test ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry , i am not sure whether i am posted in the correct section or not .

Physics news on Phys.org
The sign test only requires that you know which of the paired tests are larger. The signed rank test requires that you can put all the results in increasing order. So the signed-rank test has a lot more information to work with. If you can put all the results in order, use the signed-rank test.

PS. For a general statistics question like this, where you are not asking about a specific homework problem, there is a section for Statistics under Math that might be a better place to post.

Likes tzx9633
FactChecker said:
The sign test only requires that you know which of the paired tests are larger. The signed rank test requires that you can put all the results in increasing order. So the signed-rank test has a lot more information to work with. If you can put all the results in order, use the signed-rank test.

PS. For a general statistics question like this, where you are not asking about a specific homework problem, there is a section for Statistics under Math that might be a better place to post.
So , if the college statistics question didn't ask for whether we should put the results in increasing order or not , both can be used ? Am i right ?

If you can put them in order, it is probably better to do that. The signed-rank test may be a stronger test. But often there is no such thing as order -- you just have a (greater-than, less-than) boolean paired-data sample. Then you can not use the signed-rank test.

Likes tzx9633
FactChecker said:
If you can put them in order, it is probably better to do that. The signed-rank test may be a stronger test. But often there is no such thing as order -- you just have a (greater-than, less-than) boolean paired-data sample. Then you can not use the signed-rank test.
Do you mean If I can put them in order , then it's recommended to use signed-rank test over sign test ?

tzx9633 said:
Do you mean If I can put them in order , then it's recommended to use signed-rank test over sign test ?
There is a trade-off. By putting them in ranks, you are gaining the ranking information but giving up the pairing information. I believe that there are examples where each is stronger. Certainly, pairs of data like (1,2) (3,4) (5,6) (7,8) are very clear, whereas the rank ordering of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 hides the important information and is weak. On the other hand, (1, 7), (3, 2) (5,8) (4,6) looks much stronger in the form of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 because when the second entries of the pairs are larger, they are not just larger than the first entry of that pair -- they tend to be larger than all first entries of all pairs.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
whereas the rank ordering of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 hides the important information and is weak.
why ? Can you explain further ?

tzx9633 said:
why ? Can you explain further ?
The ordering of the two sets is entirely swapped if the lowest ranked element is deleted. So it is my assumption that the statistical result will be weak and insignificant. In the paired results, (1,2) (3,4) (5,6) (7,8), it is very clear, and I assume statistically significant, that the second set ranks above the first set.

What is the difference between a sign test and a Wilcoxon signed rank test?

A sign test is a non-parametric statistical test used to determine if there is a significant difference between two related samples. It is based on the number of positive and negative differences between the paired samples. A Wilcoxon signed rank test, on the other hand, is also a non-parametric test but it takes into account the magnitude of the differences between the paired samples.

Which test should be used for small sample sizes?

A sign test is more appropriate for small sample sizes as it does not require the assumption of normality and can be used with as few as 10 observations.

Can a sign test and Wilcoxon signed rank test be used for dependent samples?

Yes, both tests are appropriate for dependent samples, where each observation in one sample is paired with a corresponding observation in the other sample.

What is the main assumption for a Wilcoxon signed rank test?

The main assumption for a Wilcoxon signed rank test is that the differences between the paired samples are symmetrically distributed around zero.

How are the results of a sign test and Wilcoxon signed rank test interpreted?

In a sign test, the null hypothesis is that there is no difference between the two samples. If the p-value is less than the chosen significance level, the null hypothesis is rejected and it can be concluded that there is a significant difference between the samples. In a Wilcoxon signed rank test, the null hypothesis is that the median difference between the paired samples is zero. A significant p-value indicates that the null hypothesis can be rejected and there is a significant difference between the samples.